southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well anyhow this is what the unit looks like
>>

Well, it works good in the video in one of their adds they claim 300 tons before any wear parts need replacement. That would keep me busy for a long time. My chains are only lasting about 6 or so buckets depending on the hardness of the ore.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it works good in the video in one of their adds they claim 300 tons before any wear parts need replacement. That would keep me busy for a long time. My chains are only lasting about 6 or so buckets depending on the hardness of the ore.
LOL... Sorry to hear that.
008.JPG
004.JPG
My 6 pound sledge hammer has lasted Decades :):goldpan: And, it only has 2 moving parts.Me, and the hammer head:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without heavy flywheels there's a lot of strain on drive components, like chains. Also places more strain on motor bearings, etc.
Jim
The jaw crushers I can afford are made in China I don't trust those heavy flywheels.

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone used one of these? Or own one.
Ya I own one and used to use it to crush before throwing the ore into the chain mill. Probably did 6 buckets before it broke. Happened right at the end of the trip so I can't remember which part exactly broke. Seemed like a hinge wore through. After such little use I'd have to agree with Jim without the heavy flywheel your relying completely on the motor to get the job done. Oftentimes the motor would bog down and I'd have to shut it off dump it out and start up again. Definitely not a dump your ore in and let it crush machine. Similar to our chain mills feed one piece at a time and hope it doesn't decide to just happily bounce in the hopper or jam up the jaws. If I could do it again I'd probably not purchase the minijaw crusher and continue with the sledge and chain mill until I could afford something more robust.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I own one and used to use it to crush before throwing the ore into the chain mill. Probably did 6 buckets before it broke. Happened right at the end of the trip so I can't remember which part exactly broke. Seemed like a hinge wore through. After such little use I'd have to agree with Jim without the heavy flywheel your relying completely on the motor to get the job done. Oftentimes the motor would bog down and I'd have to shut it off dump it out and start up again. Definitely not a dump your ore in and let it crush machine. Similar to our chain mills feed one piece at a time and hope it doesn't decide to just happily bounce in the hopper or jam up the jaws. If I could do it again I'd probably not purchase the minijaw crusher and continue with the sledge and chain mill until I could afford something more robust.
Thanks, about 6 buckets for me also K&M 11-inch mill chains worn screen cover and bolts one bolt head gone. Screen has a hole in it I repaired the mill today maybe it will make it until backup parts arrive. It works great was used lightly when I bought it second set of chains by me. Worlds Hardest Chains Rockwell #62? This quartz we have is tough

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, about 6 buckets for me also K&M 11-inch mill chains worn screen cover and bolts one bolt head gone. Screen has a hole in it I repaired the mill today maybe it will make it until backup parts arrive. It works great was used lightly when I bought it second set of chains by me. Worlds Hardest Chains Rockwell #62? This quartz we have is tough
Just a thought. Maybe hardness makes for brittleness and short life(?). May be worthwhile to experiment.

Continued good luck to you and your son.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ask yourself what hardness chain does these commercial makers of this equipment use ,and then replace your wore out chains with that type . OR use what you have and keep replacing it as it wears out . JMO :hello:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A big compromise in jaw crushers is do you want speed, or ability to crush hard ore. The only way to have both is lots of horsepower. The "throw" on the jaw determines the speed. But a large throw requires lots of power if the ore is hard. You can crush hard with less power, but with a reduced amount of "throw" on the crank.....you're taking smaller "bites".
Jim

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask yourself what hardness chain does these commercial makers of this equipment use ,and then replace your wore out chains with that type . OR use what you have and keep replacing it as it wears out . JMO :hello:
I'm using the type of chain from the manufacture of my mill that they supply and comes with the mill new. And it still seems to wear fast. I guess as long as it pays for itself, I'll deal with it but looking for cheaper source.

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm using the type of chain from the manufacture of my mill that they supply and comes with the mill new. And it still seems to wear fast. I guess as long as it pays for itself, I'll deal with it but looking for cheaper source.
I tried ordering some chains of similar construction to the rockwells that saved a few bucks but I think in the future I'd just stick with what you're doing and get them from the mill manufacture. End of the day chain is expensive no matter where you get it from and as best I could tell the one's from the mill manufacturer were the hardest chains available. I feel your chain pain!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure would be nice to have one of these :)

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried ordering some chains of similar construction to the rockwells that saved a few bucks but I think in the future I'd just stick with what you're doing and get them from the mill manufacture. End of the day chain is expensive no matter where you get it from and as best I could tell the one's from the mill manufacturer were the hardest chains available. I feel your chain pain!

Hardened Security Chain​

Why is Pewag chain so hard to cut? This cut-resistance is due to both the hardness of the steel and the shape of the links.

One way steel hardness is determined is through the Rockwell rating system (also known as the HRC). This method measures how much of a dent is created in the metal when a measured amount of weight is applied. A good HRC for security chain is 56 and above.

Pewag's rating is an impressive 62 HRC for all three chains. The 9/32” and 3/8” security chains are hardened to 62 HRC 10% deep, while the 1/2” security chain is hardened to 62 HRC 6% deep. Not only does this mean they take more strength to cut, but it also means the chain is harder than most bolt cutters - they tend to have a rating of around 59-60.

Additionally, the chain links have a square profile. Hardened square link chains create a larger contact area and prevent bolt cutters from getting the necessary grip to start cutting through. K&M chains are $55 dollars plus shipping the chains are 8 inches long you get two Pewags are $16.79 a foot for 120 grade if you buy $ 200 dollars' worth shipping is free. I'm still looking I think I found some on Amazon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread