good advice! new hunt sites

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
This may be obvious, but I found a very good way for anyone to find new hunt sites for coins that may not have been searched or known to many people. I was talking to my mother in law and asking about places people would go decades ago swimming in creeks, rivers or lakes. Most places have what used to be called the "old swimming hole" for the area. She told me about an old swimming hole that used to be packed with people decades ago, but is now just a creek on private property. I got permission to go there and it was clear it had never been searched. I've found silver coins every time and other coins dating from 1934 to the late 1970s. I then went to some of the online newspaper sites for the area and entered "old swimming hole" and variations and searched for articles. I found a current land dispute about a location that used to be a swimming hole. Even though the article talked about a big dispute between the "bad guy" landowner and people who wanted to continue to swim, he was very nice when I approached him and allowed me to check. It was mostly rocks, so I didn't find much, but then he told me there was a 100 year old baseball field on the property and he had photos of it. It was really overgrown during the early summer when I searched so I could hardly check and will have to go back, but I did find a 1908 dime. So, talk to old timers about old swimming holes and check your local newspaper online archives.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread