Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the festival grounds and decided to detect behind the ball fields where a lot of people camp during the events. It was calling for showers, but I didn?t check the radar and I got dumped on. It hasn?t rained in ages and I got caught a quarter mile from my truck in a stead rain that lasted for almost 2 hours. (the gate is locked when no activities are planned and no maintenance is being done so I have to park far away).

This place is good for clad and an occasional silver or old relic. This trip I managed a nice 176 coins with a face value of $12.78 (better than normal for clad), 2 Costa Rican coins, another bull decoration from something, a little can slaw, some tabs, foil and a nice batch of aluminum tent pegs.

A2ABC836-08A3-4CD5-A954-37D64C6DED7B.jpeg

When I dug the big Costa Rica coin for a second I thought GOLD, but then I saw the 100 and knew it was something else. I am in my 20th year of detecting and I am still looking for my first gold coin. I figured it is a nice big coin worth 100 colones so it should be pretty good right. Wrong, it is only worth 16 cents. So the 2 coins together, 125 colones, are worth a whopping 20 cents. LOL

89358EC9-143C-4E85-B39D-BCCD2BCAFD14.jpeg 63D1573D-7871-4068-88A8-28D5216B47D1.jpeg 0E59AC8F-7F34-4D54-B5EA-25291D07902B.jpeg

I went back to one of my swimming spots to detect. The water went down faster than usual this year and the swimming area was totally dry. As I started to work the area I noticed signs that someone else had been there detecting before me. They didn?t get it all, but they did do a decent amount of digging from what I could see and the remaining targets were mostly small and few and far between.

I found 7 coins in the swimming area and I got 11 more from some of the grassy areas around the beach that they did not cover. So all together 18 coins with a face value of $0.64, 3 cheapie earrings, a pendant, a toy dinosaur, a few tabs and little bits of foil (nobody finds foil like it do with the ATPro). It was a disappointing hunt. I usually find at least one silver or gold at this spot even if it is only an earring back.

C13BAD20-3AD8-423E-93D1-730F1DC712EA.jpeg

I got back to the scout camp this week. The camping season is over for this year and the tents are down so I can go anywhere I like. The ranger even gave me a gate key so I can let myself in if they are busy elsewhere. (They are locking up more than usual as part of the new security measures for camp. They used to just leave the gate open for me when they knew I was coming)

I did this site about 4 years ago. I redid parts I did then and expanded my search area beyond the normal tent positions. In 6 hours with the CZ21 I found 36 tent pegs (there are not many pegs in this part of camp because most of the floorboards have what we call outriggers that the ropes are tied onto so they only use pegs on tarps and a few extra tents in each site), 6 neckerchief slides, sinkers, a zinc penny that is half eaten, a fishing lure, a metal bead, a cob coin replica, a pine wood derby medal, a Catholic miraculous medal, the cross from an Ad Altare Dei Catholic religious medal, a flag pin that was still in the plastic wraper, a thank you coin from the camp for the scout leaders (the other side is nicer, but it has the name of the camp), a Cub Scout Garfield pin, a Webelos Showman pin, a soccer belt loop, 12 rope tensioners, some melted aluminum from the fires, some aluminum cans, and 5 teeth from earth moving equipment. I have found a number of these teeth over the years, but they only appear in this section of camp

1752A167-4E9A-4844-80C9-36FB618137E6.jpeg 9E253C8B-6467-43D1-87E3-96573CC7E98A.jpeg

7530DCC6-F7D5-400C-A486-617AA602EABF.jpeg

I went back to the festival grounds for another go round. No rain this time so I do my grid for 3 hours and then wandered around for one more. In my 4 hours with the CZ21 I found 61 coins with a face value of $3.48, 2 bullets, an earring, cans and can slaw, bottle caps, some tent pegs from the festival campers and 3 soda can game lids. I also found a cast iron window weight. The weights were in a channel in the wall attached to a rope over a pulley on each side of the window to make the window easier to open.

61F3493D-38E6-4407-B302-0C2E82D25EBD.jpeg AA560C5E-F6DD-4C4E-8323-9F9A7B15F138.jpeg

Before they made all aluminum cans, when they stared putting pull tabs on the cans they made aluminum lids for the steel cans. The steel cans rust away and the aluminum lids stay in the ground. The signal is sometimes great like a coin or iffy, but still good enough to dig. So I dig them all of the time, but this is the first time I have found identifiable lids from the pop tab games. There are 2 different games here. The top lid is from the Coca Cola Peel a Fortune Game from 1982. The bottom 2 are from the Pepsi Cola Matching Money Game. I am having trouble find information on the games. I remember playing them years ago, but don?t remember the details. Internet searches have not produced a lot of info at this point. It?s not a big deal, I?m just curious and like to understand what I have found.

E3EFA310-E9FA-4DC1-B303-406E166256C0.jpeg EB76BE90-7B80-4E88-821B-C08FFA891698.jpeg

So this week I found a lot of clad, a nice variety from the scout camp and a few other interesting things. No great finds, but fun digging anyway. Next week we are having work done at the house so I may not get out much. We are getting close to harvest time in the state parks and I have renewed my permissions for this year. Both verbal and written (some parks require written permission to detect, it is up to the manager). Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 12

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Nice finds! Congrats!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some nice finds. Don't feel bad, I'm in my 34th year of detecting, and I still don't have a gold coin either. (And I hunt a lot of farm fields, which I feel should be my best chance).

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vast assortment- very nice!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice bunch of finds a usual. Keep hunting, there's a gold coin out there with your name on it. Gary

Thanks Gary. We always hope the next target will be the big one, who knows.

Looks like some nice finds. Don't feel bad, I'm in my 34th year of detecting, and I still don't have a gold coin either. (And I hunt a lot of farm fields, which I feel should be my best chance).

Looks like we are in the same boat. We know they should be there somewhere, but we just can’t seem to get our coil over one.

Everyone stay safe, good luck and keep swingin. (You won’t find them if you don’t hunt.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread