What's new

Got 3 more French buttons today!!!

Devonrex

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
351
Reaction score
1,263
Golden Thread
4
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I guess 2012 is gonna be remembered as the French button year. Dug two more cuff regimental numbers today, another 13 and a 7. This is the first 7 that has come out of this site. Also got a button that is the same size as the numbered buttons but with a ornate design on it. Never seen one before but I'm sure it came off a French soldier in 1781. That places the total count for French regimental buttons at this site at 15! (1 cuff 7, 1 cuff 10, 11 cuff 13's, 1 cuff 17, and a coat 64). Also dug an ornate spoon, 5 musket balls, some small colonial brass, and an unreadable flying eagle penny. HH Devonrex
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0523.webp
    IMG_0523.webp
    67.2 KB · Views: 410
Upvote 0
Very cool,I dug a 13th reg while stationed in Germany. Sure wish I could dig one now..
 
Devonrex,

You are certainly on a roll with all the French buttons! :o

What does the back of the ornate button look like? If it is bone backed, with a thin stamped brass face, then it should also date Rev War. If it is two-piece brass, then it is likely early 19th century.

CC
 
So when does the museum open? You've dug a crazy amount of real nice stuff, we out here in Denver salute!
Carl
 
CC Hunter said:
Devonrex,

You are certainly on a roll with all the French buttons! :o

What does the back of the ornate button look like? If it is bone backed, with a thin stamped brass face, then it should also date Rev War. If it is two-piece brass, then it is likely early 19th century.

CC
CC it's a thick one piece button with a crude looking loop for a shank. I can tell its very early. I will try to get a picture of it and post it later on sometime tomorrow. Devonrex
 
Nice finds!

All the best,

Lanny
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom