What's new

Got a 40%er out of the strangest place today...

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Now technically this has nothing to do with CRHing but I had to share. I went to a junkyard with my buddy looking for some parts for our cars. Always fun, and I always find a ton of dirty change in some of the old cars. So I saw this BMW with decent 15" BMW wheels and thought they could look good on my old Jetta, so I went to check them out better. I couldn't get the center caps off to see if they were 4- or 5-lug wheels so I got in the driver seat to see if maybe I could either find an owner's manual or the factory-size big phillips-head screwdriver piece to get the center caps off with. I noticed the trim around the automatic shifter had been salvaged previously, but I noticed a coin down underneath where it was...and it was a JFK half! So me and my friend worked for like a solid 5 or 6 minutes trying to get at it. We eventually were able to reach it with a screwdriver prying it up and then needle-nose plyers grabbing it and pulling it out. Unfortunately it got pretty well scratched up but still it was a 1966 half, along with 2 clad quarters and a clad dime. Awesome!

Turned out the wheels were 5 lug so I couldn't use them anyway. No biggie. Scrounged a total of $7.37 though in dirty coins!
 
Upvote 0
treasure is wherever you find it ;D No shame in your game from where I stand :thumbsup:.

Acevillav
 
Whenever I see an old abandoned car I always look in the obvoius places for loos change. Especially love the old 40's & 50's cars.
 
cyberdan said:
Whenever I see an old abandoned car I always look in the obvoius places for loos change. Especially love the old 40's & 50's cars.

Me too!

Have you ever had any luck? I haven't...although I'm hoping one day to find a rusty silver dime or something.
 
Good work Doc! I've always wondered when I passed those fields with junk cars, if it would be worth it to stop and try to check out the old ones. Congratulations to you. HH, Gpurs..
 
DrDetector said:
Have you ever had any luck?
There used to be an old ford only wrecking yard 20-30 north of me. It no longer exists. I found a few old coins but no silver. But, I did meet Dean Moon one time. He was scrounging just like me. He had the bucks though, he was buying every flathead V-8 he could find. (for parts I guess) He was the drag race king.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom