Got a ground burst Hotchkiss shell from the Civil War today!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a ground burst Hotchkiss today - Got it all - the top, the fuse, the sabot, and the base cup ..... even got the balls inside. Also found 3 dropped Gardners, a tip to a bayonet, and a Zouave button that I know came off a Louisiana jacket. Why couldn't it have had that magical pelican on it? Next time! Fall is here and I've got a few months to score some nice Confederate buttons! HH Devonrex

Attachments

• DSCF0964.JPG
    DSCF0964.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCF0965.JPG
    DSCF0965.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 388
  • DSCF0967.JPG
    DSCF0967.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCF0978.JPG
    DSCF0978.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF0977.JPG
    DSCF0977.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 6
Amazing hunt! I hunted a swamp that used to be full of those and only found a few bullets Still on the wish list.

Daggone great find. Was with a friend recently when he found a shinkle GB. Never found the fuse though . . .

nice finds congrats HH

Dag on man o man I'm so freakin jealous I've found chunks but never the whole thing great piece of history and congrats on your find.How deep was it? Just beautiful......keep digging and keep posting

Got a ground burst Hotchkiss today - Got it all - the top, the fuse, the sabot, and the base cup ..... even got the balls inside. Also found 3 dropped Gardners, a tip to a bayonet, and a Zouave button that I know came off a Louisiana jacket. Why couldn't it have had that magical pelican on it? Next time! Fall is here and I've got a few months to score some nice Confederate buttons! HH Devonrex

Very freakin nice finds bro

Awesome finds!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back