Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I found these in gold country norther CA, Ive posted the strange nugget before but I still haven't brought anywhere to have looked at. I found this clear crystal like rock in my sluice, thought it was broken glass at first, possibly the bottom corner of an old bottle but its has so much mass it seems to thick to be that. It also has a few hex like flat spots that almost for a perfect square crystal on one side. Dare I say that its possible its a placer diamond? It has some areas that you can see right through it like glass, seems like maybe a very slight yellow hew.. In the right light in at cretin angles it has like a peacock color shine as well. I tried the dot test and for the most part you cant really see the dot through it only at certain angles, but also at certain angles the dot disappears completely.. It weighs 20.45 ct.

The other cube pyrite like specimen Im thinking is just that, but ive never seen a dull stone like pyrite like this one, also don't know much about rocks that why im here lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 1118705 View attachment 1118706 View attachment 1118707 View attachment 1118708 View attachment 1118709 View attachment 1118710 View attachment 1118711 View attachment 1118712

Looks very Topaz-like. It's definitely a hard stone. It's a lot more work identifying alluvial deposits by the way they wear.
Now you may have to try a Mohs test and/or specific gravity test to know for sure. -Luke

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
I found these in gold country norther CA, Ive posted the strange nugget before but I still haven't brought anywhere to have looked at. I found this clear crystal like rock in my sluice, thought it was broken glass at first, possibly the bottom corner of an old bottle but its has so much mass it seems to thick to be that. It also has a few hex like flat spots that almost for a perfect square crystal on one side. Dare I say that its possible its a placer diamond? It has some areas that you can see right through it like glass, seems like maybe a very slight yellow hew.. In the right light in at cretin angles it has like a peacock color shine as well. I tried the dot test and for the most part you cant really see the dot through it only at certain angles, but also at certain angles the dot disappears completely.. It weighs 20.45 ct.

The other cube pyrite like specimen Im thinking is just that, but ive never seen a dull stone like pyrite like this one, also don't know much about rocks that why im here lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 1118705 View attachment 1118706 View attachment 1118707 View attachment 1118708 View attachment 1118709 View attachment 1118710 View attachment 1118711 View attachment 1118712
I find pieces like that nugget looking one all the time. I have no idea what they are but we have one on my buddies claim that is the size of a football. Keep meaning to haul it out but...you know how it is.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Asmbandits, the brown one could be a pseudomorph after pyrite, perhaps limonite?
Or the pyrite has gotten discoloured/oxidized to that state.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I took the three questioned items in to a well known local rock and gem shop and honestly I should have taken notes as I can't remember what he said they were called, but he did say the crystal was most likely a quartz crystal, the pyrite looking formation was pyrite that another mineral transformed to what it is now, and the nugget was something that stated with a H? He said it was fairly common. I'm kicking myself now for not taking notes..

Last edited:

playtime

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please help identify. Is this gold in slate?

rock 1.jpg rock 2.jpg rock 3.jpg rock 4.jpg rock 5.jpg mag 1.jpg mag 2.jpg

robert2b

Oct 28, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Playtime, going from left to right picture #6 has what looks to be chalcopyrite in it. I see those familiar iridescent purple, blues and reds. But, that may be a good thing as I have found gold running with pyrites. As the saying goes: Crush it and pan it.

playtime

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guess it's time to get a crusher.... Here are some magnified photos of nuggets panned in the creek below the rock in my first photos. Does the structure/shape of the nuggets offer any clues? Thanks nuggets 1.jpg nuggets 2.jpg

robert2b

Oct 28, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Playtime: the nuggets appear to be pretty coarse so they have not traveled very far from where they came from. I would start looking around upstream a short ways for their brothers and sisters. As for the rocks, crush and pan.

Last edited:

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you think sufides or iron?

Attachments

• iron in rock 001.JPG
    iron in rock 001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
  • iron in rock 006.JPG
    iron in rock 006.JPG
    787.2 KB · Views: 134

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is Serpentine, right?
serpentine.jpg

I found this guy in a tailings pile, obviously it has a small vein of quartz in it, but what is the other substance? It's craggy and pock marked and almost reminds me of a pumice texture (I know it's not pumice obviously). Any ideas?
quartzvein.jpg

Tree!

Jan 16, 2013
Inland Empire, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Plbnyn

Nov 23, 2014
East of Chico ca
Detector(s) used
Sight and good looks
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some of this same type of quartz it is covering a granite boulder I am going to drill and split there is a lot of blue and green on the outside of the quartz with a red dirt exterior some full crystals from yellow or clear to milky. Found at 3200 feet in paradise area

Joescollection2012

Apr 5, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20150406_190504.png

ForumRunner_20150406_190454.png
We found Rocks that are metallic and rub off as black the biggest one on the right does not rub off black but is metallic and has a little spots in it

Last edited:

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Guess it's time to get a crusher.... Here are some magnified photos of nuggets panned in the creek below the rock in my first photos. Does the structure/shape of the nuggets offer any clues? Thanks View attachment 1126959 View attachment 1126960

Wow thats purdy! Im not a hard rock dude im a dredger so thoes pieces are insightful.
They retain a ton of character!
As far as source goes you are not very far but not on top of it yet.
Thoes placers are worn a bit but not rolled or ground out. My guess is they are from up higher. They look jarred. Like they were scoured up before hitting the stream if the source was not above the stream much the recesses should be cleaner. Chunky stuff, hasn't gone too far!

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone identify the stone if it's real or synthetic ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428888650.757544.jpg

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just posted picts of a couple rocks from my claim in another section Can I move them here for you to ID?

Scoy, I am far from an expert, but the rock on the left (the first one that is speckled) looks like bauxite to me. However, after taking a closer look, I'm not so sure. I have only seen buaxite in small pieces. Did you ever find out what it is? Bauxite is an aluminum ore. Best of luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread