Got Lucky today...

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Well it's not what you think, but almost as good. :tongue3: I was running around this morning, trying to catch up on orders. Yeah been tecting on company time too much lately... So I'm trying to be serious and act like a business owner, and not look around everywhere I go for another place that may still have a keeper to be had. So wouldn't ya know it....as soon as I leave my shop I go past a little park that has never given up a silver to either Brett or myself. We have pounded this place since starting with the Ace 250's and this place has not buckled even to the DFX, the SE pro, or the Etrac. Lots of clad, especially after the Fest that they hold there annually, but no oldies. Today was different though...today they were cutting out the turf over a foot deep in places for a new brick walkway. Glad I had my detector with me! So once again I called it quits at 11:30am and spent the rest of the afternoon following behind the Bobcat. The workers there were cool and I showed them my finds as we took a break. The Bobcat operator was even asking me if he was cutting it deep enough for me. :o I felt like I was at the deli being asked if this was thin enough as they hold up the slice of lunch meat. So I'm like uh,,,"can you slice that a bit deeper over here"?? :icon_pirat: ;D

Thanks for looking and HH !

Attachments

• johnsnew 246.jpg
    johnsnew 246.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 360
  • johnsnew 243.jpg
    johnsnew 243.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 345
  • johnsnew 239.jpg
    johnsnew 239.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 358
  • johnsnew 247.jpg
    johnsnew 247.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 360
  • johnsnew 252.jpg
    johnsnew 252.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 361
  • johnsnew 257.jpg
    johnsnew 257.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 306

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Congrats on the nice finds, John!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yet another war nickel! Still on my list......

Wow!! When you come across a site like that, you just have to hit it, company time or not!! I had to stare at the beauty of that freshly cut swath of black dirt cut through the green park grass.... almost heaven!

Be sure to ask Lowbatts about the relationship he had with the Bobcat operator that was doing his park! :o

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Bobcat is truly a beautiful sight to behold. . . and you hit it just in time :wink:

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
I think I would of taken the rest of the day off too. Nice job litefire! That's certainly a opportunity not to miss!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice eye....
I would be all over that too.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Way to jump on an opportunity!
Well, at least you put in a solid 3 to 3-1/2 hours of work today. Good thing it's the weekend! ;D
Mike

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Congrats on the sweet score today! When you called I was really jealous but I had already set some things in motion that I could not delay, LASIK :) Recovering now, but so far so good! Gotta let my eyes heal for a few days before I can do any metal detecting. I think I'll wait until next weekend just to be safe.

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Brett said:
Congrats on the sweet score today! When you called I was really jealous but I had already set some things in motion that I could not delay, LASIK :) Recovering now, but so far so good! Gotta let my eyes heal for a few days before I can do any metal detecting. I think I'll wait until next weekend just to be safe.

Hey, glad all that went well ! One week??? Maybe I should stop by and grab your Etrac so it doesn't get too dusty till you recover. ;D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Now your talking a good hunt! Go back there again today, tomorrow and Monday. If you can't then tell me where it is, and where they were dumping the removed dirt.

I've found the best digs come from the scrapes that only take off 5-8 inches of dirt. But even with that they toss a lof of good finds in the dirt they remove. Just ask Mayo about the glory pile at last year's Elgin Park cut. I think he got his best coinage out of the removed dirt, those sweet barbers!

And yeah, beware the bobcat, they are driven by mad people sometimes. Angry, dirty, foul-mouthed heathens for which there is no answer but a response in kind.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I'll send a note off to the local folks to research that locket for you John!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Nice job scoping out the bobcats! I'd be there in a second if I saw that occuring. Nice war nickel, even nicer Rosey. You going back for more soon?

Joe

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
twistidd said:
Nice job scoping out the bobcats! I'd be there in a second if I saw that occuring. Nice war nickel, even nicer Rosey. You going back for more soon?

Joe

Yeah Joe, I went back this morning. They actually had over twice the area already cut since yesterday. ( I got up late).. Only thing that came up was a 45 wheat and a tiny Luger with a key chain eye on it. Believe it or not, I was digging pull tabs (the old one piece ones without a swivel rivet and small round pull ring) from 4-5" below the 12" cut. :-[ didn't have any breakfast and the sun was getting to my brain so I gave up for today.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey John, got down there today for the sunrise digs. Got an old matchcase about three inches below the cut and near the old cistern. Also got an unusal looking button there. BTW, pulled that mason jar lid out the rest of the way! Also got a dozen assorted clad in the path, mostly red jeffs. Also did some digging at the iron pile near the south end of the cuts. Found some fire debris of old there, RR spikes, an old bike brake. That's the area the bobcat guy could cut another two inches off of if he'd do it for you, one of the older mills may have stood there as that appears to be at the end of the old race.

Nice site! Work it a little harder, some of those pulltab signals I left for you are going to be more than pulltabs!

BTW, did a little totlot insurgency at a couple nearby parks also, poor kids apparently. They left all their change at the playground!

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts said:
Hey John, got down there today for the sunrise digs. Got an old matchcase about three inches below the cut and near the old cistern. Also got an unusal looking button there. BTW, pulled that mason jar lid out the rest of the way! Also got a dozen assorted clad in the path, mostly red jeffs. Also did some digging at the iron pile near the south end of the cuts. Found some fire debris of old there, RR spikes, an old bike brake. That's the area the bobcat guy could cut another two inches off of if he'd do it for you, one of the older mills may have stood there as that appears to be at the end of the old race.

Nice site! Work it a little harder, some of those pulltab signals I left for you are going to be more than pulltabs!

BTW, did a little totlot insurgency at a couple nearby parks also, poor kids apparently. They left all their change at the playground!

Hey Tim, glad you got something out out there! I'd like to see the Matchcase when you get a chance. Yeah, the only Mill that was there is the Steakhouse across the street, visible in my 2nd pic (above) between the trees. Thanks for cleaning out the MJ lid, my pouch was getting full, sorry. ;D I was going to hit it again yesterday again but decided to check out a 170 yo tavern site instead. Found the cellerhole and went back for the tecter at the car. Spend just 20 mins in there as I was alone and it was a bit spooky. Couldn't figure out why I was getting a solid penny signal from a rock, until I cleaned the mud off at home.

Attachments

• johnsnew 260.jpg
    johnsnew 260.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 250
  • johnsnew 261.jpg
    johnsnew 261.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 259
  • johnsnew 262.jpg
    johnsnew 262.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 246

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Yep, know that mill, was thinking another mill occupied the corner ofthe park there because of the debris, large spikes, nails and hardware of a more industrious nature than normal homesites. As wih most of these river towns, there were seldom just one or two mills, often a half dozen within a stones throw once they got a race constructed.

Did you know the old mill/tavern in Batavia at the bridge, now long gone, held a secret long after it went by the wayside? Workers building a more permanent bridge there found a few stoneware jugs full of silver and gold coinage in a hidey hole tucked away in the old bridge pilings, presumably by the innkeeper/tavern owner there. I think that was about 100 years ago. Got an article about it somewhere here in the Library of Lowbatts Lore.

That old race, the depression in the middle of the park there, was filled by who knows what dirt and holds who knows what secrets once you dig down into.

Anyway here's a shot ofthose goodies from the site from this morning. Need help on the button, it's obviously old, and that cistern being the local spot for potable water since the first settlers arrived means it could date back to that time frame. Not sure if it's and anchor under a crown or what, looks like maybe cannonballs around the anchor. Help!

Attachments

• buttonanchor.jpg
    buttonanchor.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 233
  • matchbrake.jpg
    matchbrake.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 235

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome hunt!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looks like cannonballs - under side ways anchor held by eagle with open wings --- early us navy type button design lookto it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread