Got my fix today

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

Enlisted the wife to pick up my boxes this week since i was working. Glad to be working indeed! She grudgingly accepted, but soon was glad to have done so.

She opened one box by herself, and then I helped her with the second. She handed me a huge bag of keepers, so we jumped into the second box with high hopes. Heres the rundown:

Box 1:
35 40%
2 90%
1 Frankie
1 1998 silver proof
1 clad proof

Box 2:
41 40%
1 90%
1 clad proof
1 NIFC

I finally scored a silver proof!! That was one of my desires this year, and glad to have done it. It sure is purdy :).

While these boxes were great, and I am very happy bout them, I was shocked to hear my friend's haul. He picks up 2 boxes a week from the same branch as I do. He hauled in over 150 silver from his 2 boxes including a walker. Kinda wish our boxes were switched, but hey, at least we both did well, and I am very happy with the results for us both. We were both nearly skunked two weeks ago(1 silver over 4 boxes). Glad to see the silver rollin in! I hope everyone else is seeing similar results.

Oh, and on another side note, we finally got some snow!! I have been craving a good snow, now we just need it to stick and accumulate!

Happy huntin,
Anthony

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I just looked in the red book, and I noticed the 98 silver proof is worth $20 or $300 depending on the finish. How can you tell if it is a matte finish? Would it just be different than the normal clad proofs?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Narthoniel said:
I just looked in the red book, and I noticed the 98 silver proof is worth $20 or $300 depending on the finish. How can you tell if it is a matte finish? Would it just be different than the normal clad proofs?
I'm still new to this but I think Matte finish looks like it was sand blasted very dull

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Damn it looks like you and your friend hit a vein congrats those are so awesome totals ... maybe there is a few more boxes kicking around from that batch , Ed

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
creeper71 said:
Narthoniel said:
I'm still new to this but I think Matte finish looks like it was sand blasted very dull

When I origionally saw this coin, my reaction was that it was very dull, but not scratched too badly. Since it is my first silver proof, I assumed that was the way they were. It was later in the evening when I showed my wife what silver proof values looked at, and she said, "Matte - $300". I think this coin is just such a coin, and I am STOKED. I need to take it by a coin store to be sure, and have them take a look at it.

Thank you for the info!
Anthony

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta love that silver vein!!! :icon_pirat:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
wow those boxes sound like the good ole days :thumbsup:...hope it turns out to be a matte finish for ya buddy....also i would definitely be sending her out again...sounds like she's a good luck charm :thumbsup: Anthony

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey anthony, My two boxes before i left for spain were very good as well. Very similar to your friend but no walker just a ben.
I will post pics when i return in a couple of weeks.

Golden Silver

Troy Ounce

Jan 16, 2009
Southeast
Detector(s) used
Whites6000 ProXL
Well I need a fix this morning after reading this and OMEGAMAN's article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Narthoniel said:
creeper71 said:
Narthoniel said:

When I origionally saw this coin, my reaction was that it was very dull, but not scratched too badly. Since it is my first silver proof, I assumed that was the way they were. It was later in the evening when I showed my wife what silver proof values looked at, and she said, "Matte - $300". I think this coin is just such a coin, and I am STOKED. I need to take it by a coin store to be sure, and have them take a look at it.

Thank you for the info!
Anthony

Best of luck with finding out about your proof , I have found a clad and a silver one but not the matte one for '98 ...but I hope that you did.... here is a link that shows one they are dull compard to regular proofs .... http://www.coinpage.com/coin-image-3445.html hope that ya found one , Ed

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Scalper said:
Narthoniel said:
creeper71 said:
Narthoniel said:

Thank you for the info!
Anthony

Best of luck with finding out about your proof , I have found a clad and a silver one but not the matte one for '98 ...but I hope that you did.... here is a link that shows one they are dull compard to regular proofs .... http://www.coinpage.com/coin-image-3445.html hope that ya found one , Ed

Thank you for the photo. I may be a while before I know for sure. It does not look at all like any of the clad proofs I have found. Was the first thing I noticed about it, how lacking it was of shine despite how few scratches it had. I am hoping for the best, but either way, its worth at least $20.
Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread