What's new

Got some BS today

kimsdad

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Messages
4,693
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Big silver that is! ;D WC & I were chomping at the bit to get out, probably like a lot of you after the rain all day yesterday. We hit a grove that has done well for me in the past, and I headed for a spot there that I hadn't hit before. I extended my coil and tightened the locking lever, but the lock wouldn't tighten down on the lower rod and the lower rod with the coil kept either sliding up or falling off. What a pain! >:( Just like yours last weekend, Patrick. What a coincidence - I think I'm a victim of circumstance! :)

It was extremely trashy, but I started picking up some 40's & 50's wheats. I took that as a good sign and stayed on track. Within thirty minutes, I picked up on a deep dime signal, and scored a '39 D Merc. Cool! :thumbsup:

Merc small.webp

I spent a while in the area, going slow - since it had proven that it held promise. I'm glad I did - after about 45 minutes more, I was chasing a signal that I thought was a high penny or low dime, when up popped old balding Ben! :o I wondered when he was going to come along. I've never dug one before. Surely in my book he's the homeliest of our silver halves. Homely or not, he sure was a welcome sight when I saw that thick rim in the dirt!

Ben in dirt.webp

Franklin small.webp

Not long after that, I decided to change to a spot in the same grove, but on the other end. As I was crossing the field, I slowed and swung a bit. I got a deep quarter signal. It turned out to be a small sterling ring. :)

Ring in dirt.webp

When we got back to our cars, Mark looked down and picked up a tiny metal rectangle off of the parking lot. He handed it over and said, "Here's your clamp piece." :icon_scratch: When I got home, I looked at the upper rod clamp on the SE, and bigger than snot, way up inside the clamp is an identical metal piece. It must have come unglued and fallen out just as I pulled it out of the trunk. Now Mark, you are a White's man. How in the heck did you know that piece of metal was from the E-Trac clamp?? You amaze me once again! :notworthy:

I'm hoping for no big rain tomorrow so I can try again one more time this week. Family commitments have my weekend sewn up.

I hope you all got a chance to get out and find something great! Thanks for checking out my ugly BS! :wink:

Silver on paper small.webp
 
Neil,

Great finds and awesome pics! What a great variety. I would be thrilled to find a Franklin half even though I think they are the ugliest silver coin ever made. I know for sure you won't be forgetting that place for awhile. The nicest
"BS" I can think of!

Joe
 
Congrats on a great silver variety day! I took the advice of etrac007 and have slowed down as well.
:thumbsup:
 
What an awesome day for silver! :thumbsup:

It's amazing that something that big could get overlooked. . . that small
coil has been a real workhorse for you. All you need now is a '64 JFK
and you'll have the 20th century covered for type 50-centers :wink:

Great hunt,
Mark
 
AWESOME FINDS NEIL , WTG!!!!
 
What kind of coil are you using now Neil?
 
Winner winner chicken dinner!
I'd love to hit ol' Frankie but good!

Frankie say relax!
 
Awesome buffet of silver! Nice detail on that merc and congrats on big silver Ben.
 
That was a great day for silver Neil! :thumbsup: At least you got the satisfaction of digging your Frankie... mine was laying on the surface and I still feel cheated somehow.
Good luck if you get back out there tomorrow!!!
 
I guess you weren't BS'ing on the phone.... ;D ;D
Again Congrats....
I need to start getting out more... to catch up to you....
 
WOW - Awesome finds, congrats bud!!!! Man O' Man I wish I could find a half - any kind even a clad one!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Congratulations,
Really awesome finds! That's the type of BS I could take all day.
Sorry to hear about your detector issues.
 
Sweet Hunt!!! I would take an ugly Ben anyday.

Makton
 
Nice Nice Nice Neil!
What a perfect day. You're really cleaning up with that Etrac. Mark probably slipped that clamping plate out of the shaft just to slow you down a bit. ;D
Mike
 
mikewaz said:
Nice Nice Nice Neil!
What a perfect day. You're really cleaning up with that Etrac. Mark probably slipped that clamping plate out of the shaft just to slow you down a bit. ;D
Mike

lol
 
mikewaz said:
Mark probably slipped that clamping plate out of the shaft just to slow you down a bit. ;D
Hmmm.... Good point! Come to think of it, it did materialize pretty fast right after the hunt... ;D
 
Pocket Spill said:
Awesome buffet of silver!
"Buffet of silver" - has a nice ring to it! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Thanks for all the great comments, guys! I read and enjoyed each one!

HH this weekend!! :wink:
 
Wow. Great hunt Neil. Don't those Ben Halves sound killer? I can still hear the pitch the detector made when I found mine. ;)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom