What's new

Got some silver today

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
Picked up some Engelhard 1 oz rounds and bars for 14.00 per oz. Hope the price doesn't drop much more from here.

Also got a couple rolls of Amercian Silver Eagles for 15.50 per oz. Kind of high premium, but nice to diversify the stash a bit.


Jim
 
Upvote 0
Nice price on the rounds and bar!

I'm not a fan of the Eagles myself. They are a nice looking coin, but there are better looking rounds out there if you are in it for asthetics, which I don't think many are, lol. They always carry a nice premium, and I see why, but I just don't agree that because they are the only U.S. legal tender bullion that they deserve those premiums.

Nice work nonetheless, and surely a smart move on improving the stash.

~Dave
 
BBcardsRI said:
Nice price on the rounds and bar!

I'm not a fan of the Eagles myself. They are a nice looking coin, but there are better looking rounds out there if you are in it for asthetics, which I don't think many are, lol. They always carry a nice premium, and I see why, but I just don't agree that because they are the only U.S. legal tender bullion that they deserve those premiums.

Nice work nonetheless, and surely a smart move on improving the stash.

~Dave

Thanks Dave,

I agree with you on the ASEs, and I only have a few rolls. I prefer Engelhard prospectors and one ounce bars both for looks and the better price. But I figure with silver prices so low (relative to recent past), I could buy the ASEs and not get screwed too bad on the premium as long as silver goes back up.

p.s. I am doing well so far on my CRHing "sobriety". I have only had the urge to get a box of halves a couple of times in the past few days and had the power to "just say no", like Nancy Reagan use to preach. LOL!! :thumbsup:


Jim
 
Good thinking, and nice work on holding off on the CRH.

I decided not to order anymore boxes like two weeks ago, and I have held strong thus far. Though one bank never got the boxes in until now... I think they should come in today. That will be the end of it for me. I have been getting hand rolls here and there from a few bank that set some aside for me now and then since I am in there so much.

~Dave
 
Bought a couple eagles for $15.25. One dealer claimed he was all out of gold and silver bullion, the other admitted he pulled back his inventory because he cant replace it at these prices. He said the physical market has dried up. I was happy to even be able to buy a little today.
 
silver is falling like a rock! :( Bet it bottoms out at $10. :(
 
solariscool said:
Bought a couple eagles for $15.25. One dealer claimed he was all out of gold and silver bullion, the other admitted he pulled back his inventory because he cant replace it at these prices. He said the physical market has dried up. I was happy to even be able to buy a little today.


My usual coin dealer has silver in stock; ten ounce, one ounce and some hundred ounce bars (good brands like Engelhard, JM, etc). Unfortunately he did not want to part with them with his usual buck or so over spot. He wanted 16.50 per ounce on the Engelhard bars (no way I am gonna pay that much over spot for any type of silver). Thus I shopped around and got a better deal by 2.50 per ounce, although the place I bought from did not have that many (I bought all their Engelhard and APMEX one ounce bars).

So I believe alot of dealers have silver, but they cannot replace it at current prices so they quote high prices. Normally, they would not mind selling to you at these low prices even it if were less than they paid a few weeks ago, because they know they can buy more to replace at a lower price than what they sold to you for. But since now people don't seem to be selling much physical now, the dealers are having a hard time replacing what they sell. This is basically what my coin dealer told me today (the one who quoted 16.50).

Jim
 
Nail on the head with that Jim. One of my dealers is doing the same thing... flat out telling me he has a nice stash of stuff but that I shouldn't buy it from him because his INSANE premiums over spot due to the falling price and the high price he paid.

Then again... my friends dealer sold him 5 1oz bars today for $13 a piece as well as some 90% dollars in BU condition for $15, etc. Low prices partially due to his relationship with the guy, and partly because he is just a good guy to buy from. He has a 10oz he wants to move as well but is asking $150... though my friend could probably talk him down to $140... I know that I wouldn't get better than $150 from him.

~Dave
 
Bought some Mexican libertad one ounce silver coins today for about a buck over spot. Really beautiful coins. A nice variety of years too.

Hope silver doesn't drop now. LOL!


Jim
 
You can be sure it will drop if you actually buy silver above face value, it always does for me.

Today Fedex showed up with an order I placed online. Bought some 2008 Maples and mid 80s Libertads. I'd never seen a Lib before in person, not too impressed with them. They are silver and the price was right though. Eagles and Amark rounds will continue to be my favorite oz coins.
 
solariscool said:
You can be sure it will drop if you actually buy silver above face value, it always does for me.

Today Fedex showed up with an order I placed online. Bought some 2008 Maples and mid 80s Libertads. I'd never seen a Lib before in person, not too impressed with them. They are silver and the price was right though. Eagles and Amark rounds will continue to be my favorite oz coins.


The later year Libertads are better than the earlier ones. No way silver eagles beat them. Check out the below stock photos.

Jim

http://www.mintproducts.com/browseproducts/2001-Mexican-Libertads.html

http://www.pandaamerica.com/NEWS_2004Libertad_silver_4_15_04.ASP
 
jim4silver said:
I have only had the urge to get a box of halves a couple of times in the past few days and had the power to "just say no", like Nancy Reagan use to preach. LOL!! :thumbsup:
Jim
Don't you mean Betty Ford?
 
jim4silver said:
solariscool said:
You can be sure it will drop if you actually buy silver above face value, it always does for me.

Today Fedex showed up with an order I placed online. Bought some 2008 Maples and mid 80s Libertads. I'd never seen a Lib before in person, not too impressed with them. They are silver and the price was right though. Eagles and Amark rounds will continue to be my favorite oz coins.


The later year Libertads are better than the earlier ones. No way silver eagles beat them. Check out the below stock photos.

Jim

http://www.mintproducts.com/browseproducts/2001-Mexican-Libertads.html

http://www.pandaamerica.com/NEWS_2004Libertad_silver_4_15_04.ASP

Yeah the newer ones are nicer. I'll get a few of those at some point but at that price range I prefer the Australian stuff by far, kooks and lunars. Always wanted some pandas but cant bring myself to pay that much over spot..... yet.
 
What a dilema. Save my hunting $$$ for finding FV silver, or buy what silver I can find at these discount prices. Well I have been doing both. Spent $2500 at APMEX in the last 10 days, I try not to go there anymore LOL but I got some really cool $hit coming. I have found a way around at my local guy yesterday, I had to take my gramma to the doctor closeby and I always like to go and look at the gold and silver while I wait. I also hate to leave emptyhanded, so I asked to look at a tray of these generic rounds and asked how much- he took one and weighed it at 22 grams- roughly 2/3 of an ounce and quoted ME $11. Well I like the mining motiff so I picked a couple of different ones in airtights and left. When I got home I got out my own scale and weighed them. The one pictured below weighed .814 ozt, the other with different pic weighed .672 ozt. The one was noticably thicker so today I went back looking for all of the ones pictured. Come to find out there was no rhyme nor reason as I saw the pictured one "thin" also. I scrounged 12 of them, some in airtights so I wound up with a couple thin ones too, so at 2/3 ozt each would have been 8 ozt, my scale came up with 9.48 ozt- for a $14.31/ oz pricetag. His 2/3 for $11 comes to over $16 per. I think garamma has another appt tomarrow haha. Anyways heres a couple pics. HH Mark
DSCN1578_edited.jpg

DSCN1580_edited.jpg
 
Nice rounds... odd weights though. But silver is silver, so you can't go wrong with'em!

I still wish I could find some of that stuff at $14 an oz like the OP mentioned buying... perhaps tomorrow when I go hunting my dealers...

~Dave
 
Yea I wish I had another dealer to try out. The other shops here are strictly coin- only time to buy from them is when melt approaches (but not too close) numismatic value. There is one other down town that had some bars when I was in there last year but there is no parking and I hate walking 1/4 mile to browse. Another traveling outfit is in town again setup at a hotel- I should go make a sign and hang out in the parking lot but I figure the cops would be called promptly. HH Mark
 
BBcardsRI said:
That is a purdy coin there Jim... very nice.

~Dave


My regular coin dealer was too high on his premiums so I went to another coin store I frequent on occasion and he had just purchased the libertads I believe. He had some random year ASEs he offered for 16 a piece but I turned them down. I also got a few one and five ounce Engelhard and JMs for the same price as the libertads.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom