What's new

Got some silver today

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
Picked up some Engelhard 1 oz rounds and bars for 14.00 per oz. Hope the price doesn't drop much more from here.

Also got a couple rolls of Amercian Silver Eagles for 15.50 per oz. Kind of high premium, but nice to diversify the stash a bit.


Jim
 
Upvote 0
Bought $10 face of quarters last wednesday @ 10X. Ended up with 3 no date standing liberties. One in real rough shape but I just love that design. Went in looking for mercs though but bought what he gave me.
 
Was like Christmas at my house today, not one but two packages. First came the tube of Phillharmonics.
DSCN1595_edited.jpg

DSCN1583_edited.jpg

DSCN1588_edited.jpg

Then my long awaited Engelhard Gold Prospector. HH Mark
BTW don't wanna contaminate your silver thread but gotta share.
DSCN1598_edited.jpg

DSCN1602.jpg
 
Silver Stripe said:
Was like Christmas at my house today, not one but two packages. First came the tube of Phillharmonics.
DSCN1595_edited.jpg

DSCN1583_edited.jpg

DSCN1588_edited.jpg

Then my long awaited Engelhard Gold Prospector. HH Mark
BTW don't wanna contaminate your silver thread but gotta share.
DSCN1598_edited.jpg

DSCN1602.jpg


Nice photos there. I like the Philharmonics alot. Never seen a silver one in person, but I have a gold one and I like the design and size.

The gold prospector is cool too. My coin dealer never seems to have gold prospectors in stock. Are they somewhat rare?

Jim
 
Rare? I don't know but this is the only one I ever seen. When I bought it from APMEX I wished I had right clicked and saved the pic (for my long wait). I searched the net for a whole afternoon looking for reference and a pic, finally found a pic at an old ebay auction. I like the whole mining motiff. HH Mark
 
The gold prospectors are certainly rarer than gold Eagles, Maples, Krugs, Phils, Lunars, etc. You just dont see them around very often at all. I think production on them was stopped in the 80s.
 
I might as well jump in with the purchases here in addition to my normal posts in the Metals forums since everyone seems to be jumping on the train here. ;)

Went to one of my boy's shops today who normally doesn't have good priced stuff just to see if he got anything in lately (which hasn't been the case for the past couple weeks). I had just cleaned my other dealer out of the 90% he was willing to part with for me and I had another couple hundred bucks to blow before I leave for college tomorrow.

He always has silver out, but the prices are crazy. He had 1oz rounds and banged up morgans and peace dollars for $19.95 for like the last MONTH (one of the MANY dealers who refused to sell stuff he bought high for lower than what he paid). He only just lowered the prices yesterday down to $14.95 a pop on both of the trays, and he only sells them to regulars and only so many at a time so he isn't cleaned out.

I dove into the 1oz tray to see if I could dig anything up. I recently had to sell most of my silver cause I REALLY needed the cash, but am now buying all back (it worked out well as I sold at $17 an oz. and am now buying it back much cheaper ;) ).

I ended up getting 1 - 1oz Sunshine bar, 1 - 1oz Prospector, his last Maple (unc shape), his last two normal eagles (decent shape), and his last 4 "painted" eagles (all 2000's and in GREAT shape).

I think I got a decent deal paying 14.95 for the maple and the eagles (even the painted dress ones - which when sold from the mint sold for a NICE premium but now aren't that hot ;P) and I grabbed one prospector and one sunshine because I didn't have either of them in my collection yet.

So the stash of silver is no where near fully recovered yet, but certainly on its way, and it looks A LOT nicer this time around, since last time it consisted like 99% of junk silver, and this time around I have a wide selection of 90% junk but also some nice .999/9 stuff.

~Dave
 
Good luck at college Dave- O and try to learn something LOL. HH Mark
 
Silver Stripe said:
Rare? I don't know but this is the only one I ever seen. When I bought it from APMEX I wished I had right clicked and saved the pic (for my long wait). I searched the net for a whole afternoon looking for reference and a pic, finally found a pic at an old ebay auction. I like the whole mining motiff. HH Mark

Hey Stripe,

You got me looking for a gold prospector now. I talked to my main coin dealer and said they are somewhat rare, in the sense that he does not get them in much. He does a fairly high volume business for a local place, and I have seen all kinds of gold he has had in stock. He said he thinks alot of the gold prospectors have been melted down over the years, I dont know why that would be though.

Normally I only get Gov issued bullion (Buffalos, Krugs, Maples, Philharmonics, etc) or pre 1933 US coins due to fear of counterfiet, thus I stay away from bars or rounds put out by private companies. With the Gov stuff and pre 33 US gold I now the proper weight and dimensions the coins must be. If the coin weighs and measures right it is gold, although I guess it could be a counterfiet, but it will still be gold and have value for its raw material. With private companies, I have no way of having a set size to compare what I buy with, nor could I use Fisch to run the coin thru.

I am overly paranoid about this just because if you do get a counterfiet or fake that is not made of .999 gold, there is a large amount of money you are out. But I may get a gold prospector for my collection. I have alot of the silver ones and they are nice looking coins. I have not heard of fake gold prospectors, but dont know for sure.

Maybe gold will correct a bit more this summer and provide a good opportunity, although now is probably a good opportunity as well.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom