GPS use

WNYDigger

Greenie
Apr 25, 2011
Hello guys/ ladiesā€¦

I am new to this site and to this hobby of MD I have one question I was told that it would be a good idea to buy a GPS show when I go out hunting I can then mark my finds keeping my finds on my tracking map so I donā€™t go the same place twiceā€¦any advice or is this personal option among MDH ?

Upvote 0

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're better off to use Google Earth or 'similar' for marking out your metal detecting areas, especially if you live in a populated City or town where you have decent RES photos and can use 'Street View' as well... Hand-Held GPS units are not all that accurate, contrary to Popular Belief and some are more accurate than others. Depending on where you live, your accuracy will VARY greatly (I.E. more accurate closer to the Equator and less so as you travel North and South).

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The use of a GPS is just another tool. If you are able to use the smallest scale on the map overlay it will show where you walked and you can place waypoints at your find location, but this is more useful out in the boonies where everything looks the same like out in the desert. Garmin makes the best with a lot of features for the money. You can mark a main feature on your route or guide you back to your car once you get turnd around. The one I have has a 20 foot scale so I could easiely follow my tracks along side where I just hunted before. It is another tool for having fun at digging in the dirt, but not necessary. Carry a small notebook too for recording facts like What, Where, how deep and such. A Kodak Playsport video cam is nice also for recording where you've been for watching later on your TV.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a Garmin handheld GPS to mark the location of finds. It's not an exact mark. I'm lucky if I can get an accuracy of +/- 12 feet or so. I just like to know where my finds are in relation to each other, especially when they are far and few between. One site has several wooded acres, so I like to know where my finds are there. Plus we geocache as a family, so the GPS serves a dual purpose.

-Swartzie

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a surveyor, and I get accuracy sometimes on the order of 1/8 inch, but my equipment (Leica) is vastly more expensive than consumer GPS. Final accuracy depends on the arrangement and number of the satellites in view, or "constellation", constantly changing.

Ordinary consumer GPS with an accuracy of from 12 feet to 30 feet is still an amazing tool when you think of historical alternatives, but you have to consider if it's the tool for you. I think they're fun to use.

I have used simple sketch maps with adequate results for site locations, and they're free.

I guess it depends on what you need, or think you need. If you've a site in the deep woods, they're a great tool, but in a park they might have a limited benefit.

Software is important (easy to use), I like Garmin myself.

K

Kentucky Kache

An ordinary GPS is good if you think you might get lost in the woods getting back to your car. It saves having to count your steps and keeping your eyes on a compus. General area is about all you can expect. Lots of fun to play with though. Boys and their toys.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a garmin to find a waypoint i have downloaded from my computer. In these mountains it sometimes gets hard to determine which hollow you are in. I will select old home-sites and navigate to them with gps. Hand-held units lack the accuracy for mapping your finds.

geodesic9

Greenie
Mar 21, 2011
Garden Valley, CA (Produce Garden of the 49er's)
Detector(s) used
GB 2
I use a Garmin Foretrek 201 wrist GPS. It has Differential GPS which uses a ground based signal with the sats for down to 1 meter accuracy.

I use Google Earth to locate where I want to go and load the waypoint into the GPS. Same in the field, I enter waypoints of locations, then I add to my Google Earth files for reference when I get back.

Helps when you look down and find you lost something from your bag, you can backtrack with the GPS and find it.

I only detect in the mountains for gold so it is a valuable tool for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread