Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this nice 1903s Barber dime yesterday, I was so happy to see a key date in such nice shape. Any thoughts on grade?

image-695690056.jpg

image-1197690419.jpg

D'oh! I obviously meant "best" not "mest" find...edit browser won't let me edit the title of the post...

Last edited:

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! How did you find it? What is on the surface? Is it just discolored?

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it about 6 or 7 inches deep, right beneath a 1900 V nickel. It is slightly discolored, but the crud on the front is loosely attached. I just don't want to do anything to damage it. I posted the pics from my phone so I just noticed they aren't that sharp. When I can get back on the computer I will post some better close ups. Full liberty baby!! Thanks...

image-3810219779.jpg

image-2928883335.jpg

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
XF-45, $700+ coin!

I'm not an expert on grading, it could be a little higher even.

Rigo

Sep 24, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it would grade that high simply because of what seems to be cleaned and possibly damaged. But, that is just my opinion.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the "environmental damage", it was in the ground for 109 years. I didn't rub it when it was dug, and just ran it under tap water and gently patted it dry. Should I have it conserved, slabbed and graded with one of the grading companies? I'm hesitant to do either acetone or electrolysis...

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! You are right, DON'T CLEAN IT!
I would get it slabbed. If you never did it before, ask a coin dealer how to get it done.
Have fun.

Rigo

Sep 24, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the "environmental damage", it was in the ground for 109 years. I didn't rub it when it was dug, and just ran it under tap water and gently patted it dry. Should I have it conserved, slabbed and graded with one of the grading companies? I'm hesitant to do either acetone or electrolysis...

Only if you have experience in cleaning/conserving a coin should you use acetone. Remember not to use a plastic container. Use something like a can to dip it in. Electrolysis I don't recommend, it would just eat up at any remaining luster it may have. Also, I wouldn't spend the money to get it "certified". IMO, it is more likely to come back in a body bag. It is a nice coin so you should just acetone it and put it in a 2x2 and save.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Only if you have experience in cleaning/conserving a coin should you use acetone. Remember not to use a plastic container. Use something like a can to dip it in. Electrolysis I don't recommend, it would just eat up at any remaining luster it may have. Also, I wouldn't spend the money to get it "certified". IMO, it is more likely to come back in a body bag. It is a nice coin so you should just acetone it and put it in a 2x2 and save.

ANACS will certify it and put it in a slab.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So send it "as is" and let them do it? Also, I'm in Canada, any complications sending to for grading to US grading companies?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are comfortable enough with the process, a simple acetone bath should clean that coin right up. If you are careful, it shouldn't hurt the coin - but do this at your own risk!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to pick up some acetone today and try it on a common silver to see how it goes.

Can somebody tell me the best way to do it? Thanks..

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm going to pick up some acetone today and try it on a common silver to see how it goes.

Can somebody tell me the best way to do it? Thanks..

Lots of Q-Tips with the paper shaft. Do NOT get a generic with a plastic shaft. Acetone will eat the plastic. Be sure you are in a well-ventilated area. Place a small amount of acetone in glass dish enough to cover the coin. Swirl the acetone to allow the solvent to clean the organics. Flip the coin to treat the other side. Rinse and pat dry. Note the progress. If it is working then repeat. If necessary, then you may have to utilize the Q-Tips. Do not scour or rub with Q-Tip across the surface of the coin. Rotate/twirl the Q-Tip between your thumb and index finger while maintaining the contact in the same area with the least amount of force. Use a clean swab often.

By the way, as mentioned above, ANACS will certify/slab the cleaned coin. It will be noted on the slab, but it will have a details grade. Also, NGC will grade coins that have been conserved by an internal division NCS (Numismatic Conservation Services). Coins Requiring Conservation | NGC Details Grading

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Diver, I did the acetone bath carefully. There is still a bit of black gunk attached to the coin by the date, but I decided to let it be. I'm happy with how it looks, and it is now in a holder. I'm attaching a couple of new pics, hopefully I can get them to post..

Attachments

• image-2691304253.jpg
    image-2691304253.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 120
  • image-4024290158.jpg
    image-4024290158.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 113

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
J.Cache said:
thanks Diver, I did the acetone bath carefully. There is still a bit of black gunk attached to the coin by the date, but I decided to let it be. I'm happy with how it looks, and it is now in a holder. I'm attaching a couple of new pics, hopefully I can get them to post..

Looks better. Looks like you need to apply some kind of restorer to it. There are many products out there. The oil will make the coin look not so dry.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jerseyben said:
I would not recommend this.

I agree. Don't do anything else to the coin except put it into a holder.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread