Granddad's old coin collection-Ancient coins or reproductions?

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, came across these and wanted to post for some opinions from those who might be familiar with them.

I recently got a box of old coins from my father that had been my grandfather's. There are some interesting coins in there and I may make a full post later to get other opinions (couple gold coins, morgan silver dollars, some colonial coinage ect...) but these got my attention and knowing nothing about them I though I'd check with all of you!

All are bronze and the top 3 appear to have Arabic writing on them (at least 2 do the 3rd is worn smooth on one side) and are about 2x the thickness of the bottom row.

The bottom 3 look Greek to me but could they be Roman or other?

My Grandfather collected all kinds of stuff so no idea is these are real or reproductions that he bought at a coin show or something. They are pretty clean for the most part though a couple show a little green crust on them. Any help is appreciated!

20180311_125131.jpg 20180311_125228.jpg

Upvote 9

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although they seem over cleaned, they look ancient to me.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'dads research;

''DocBeav at the above post asked for some input and I agree with you that they look overcleaned ancients. The lower set of 3 coins are Roman Provincial probably and I believe I have identified the first one as an AE Tetradrachm from Alexandria of the Emperor Probus AD279-280 as per the example below:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/probus/milne_4610.jpg

I might be able to pin the others but it will take some time trying to track the deities against the loads of possible regional issues – especially as I am highly unfamiliar with Greek lettering types etc. At least I have found one so far!''

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some very nice coins, thank you for sharing!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crusader! I was hoping to get some input from you and Cru'dad! I really appreciate it! Those of us on the other side of the pond don't get to see these much, unless you and Cru'dad are posting them! My pop will be happy to hear they are real cause he had no idea!

Hes gonna ask, so I will too, not that we'd part with them, but is there any value in these? I know they come outta the ground in the UK like earthworms!

I knew the bottom 3 looked Roman Provincial, because they are a little odd looking compared to the types we get, but Cru'dad is doing all the timely work;

'' Lower Middle coin I believe is an Alexandria Potin Tetradrachm of Diocletian AD 288-289 with Eusebeia sacrificing over lighted altar as example:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/diocletian/milne_4897.jpg

''

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crusader! I was hoping to get some input from you and Cru'dad! I really appreciate it! Those of us on the other side of the pond don't get to see these much, unless you and Cru'dad are posting them! My pop will be happy to hear they are real cause he had no idea!

Hes gonna ask, so I will too, not that we'd part with them, but is there any value in these? I know they come outta the ground in the UK like earthworms!

Sorry, none of them have any great monetary value.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, none of them have any great monetary value.

Thanks Cru, yeah, sorta figured but like I said, I'm sure the old man will ask!

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part 2 coming soon, Granddad's US Gold and silver coins and a FAKE!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions