Graver spur info looking for

sc arrow

May 10, 2023
south carolina
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have heard these called Graver spurs. Found this one in a field full of flakes and broken points and a few good ones. Can't seem to find much about them. Very old? In use for a long time and common to find them?

Attachments

• 20230402_143126.jpg
    20230402_143126.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 1
well, yes and no. It is a common flake shape too.
Thanks, yes I actually picked it up for my flake jar but then noticed how pronouced the point was. I then saw a video on the Topper site showing an example of one and this one was found just a few miles from that site. It looked worked from one side anyway. I guess it is a toss up to a maybe.

It is difficult to say for sure with one picture. Your pictures are ok, but for a better analysis you might want to include pictures of both sides of your artifacts, and experiment with getting better close up photos of worked areas, flake platforms, use-wear, etc.

Your pictured artifact may very well be a graver. I think it is possible that it may even be a compass graver with different graver points present at the tips of each of your two fingers in the picture. With a compass graver, there will be a pilot point and a scribe point. There will be different types of use wear on the two points considering their different functions. Although the various graver points could be interchangable and each serve in either capacity, the use wear will still be different on each point from the last time the artifact was used.

Gravers are not unique to Paleoindian tool assemblages, they are however common in Paleoindian tool assemblages. If I find a compass graver made on a flake where I am at, I am sure to give the area extra scrutiny. If you type "Paleoindian graver" into Google you will get plenty of research papers and pictures to look at. You will need to wade through the results to find papers not hidden behind paywalls (thanks, academia!).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back