What's new

Gravers, Lets see yours.

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been picking these up for a while now. These are my most resent ones. I have others from the past 6 months. I was wondering what they were for a while now. They have a small tip on them and I faced them to the camera so you can see the tool ends. If you notice they really dont show much work except the nub end. They used a Graver for incising bone and wood from what I have read. All periods used them so it is hard to say what period these were made in. Id like to see other ones that everyone else has found so post yours. Thanks, rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_2807.webp
    100_2807.webp
    133.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_2808.webp
    100_2808.webp
    128.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_2809.webp
    100_2809.webp
    119.4 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0
ForumRunner_20130223_000934.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_001222.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_001339.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_001453.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_001739.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_001824.webp

A couple of those are multi tools..scraper/graver
 
Here's a couple scored bone ends.
Leftover from making bone tools after scoring with a graver then splitting. . In this case bone pins like these.

ForumRunner_20130223_002500.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_002603.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_002648.webp
 
Last edited:
If I may ask, what are your opinions as to what exactlly were gravers used for? As gator pointed out (?), they were used to work the groves in the first photo in gator's post #3. Just was wondering.
 
I imagine they could have been used...besides scoring bone also scoring a softer stone for things like fishing sinkers and also scoring shell..like shell plummets.

ForumRunner_20130223_025628.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_025801.webp
 
Wonderfully educational thread, gentlemen. Thanks for sharing. What about graver uses in art and decoration?

takkiruq_small.jpg
 
i have some ill post but in the mean time where is the carved piece from,surf?
 
I'm confident that these tools with graver spurs were used to score or carve anything that was softer than the chert . . . bone, wood, shell or stone. Some tools with spurs were worked more extensively others, which may reflect on the culture of the band or on the fastidiousness of the individual user or on the exigency of the situation.
scraperunifacegraver.webp graverspurtrio.webp​
 
Totally agree.. here is a few scrapers with spurs similar to Harry's examples.

ForumRunner_20130223_121344.webp
 
Last edited:
I think this is an exhausted Calf Creek made into a graver---what do y'all think---yes or no?
IMG_5306 (535x800) (535x800).webpIMG_5304 (640x800).webpIMG_5296 (684x1024).webpIMG_5302 (861x1024).webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5303 (684x1024).webp
    IMG_5303 (684x1024).webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 132
Nice example.
 
Nice ones.. I was just thinking.. since most of these gravers likely took part in the making of many bone tools... imagine how many bone tools we would be finding if they survived like stone.
 
Nice looking Engravers guys. Here's a few of mine.

The two in the first picture were found on the same site and the same day. I found the Carter Cave one and my father found the black one.

The piece in the last two pictures is a Multi-Tool that has two Engraver Spurs on it.

The two pictures before that piece is of some Scrapers that all have an Engraver Spur on it.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0004.webp
    DSC_0004.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0003.webp
    DSC_0003.webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0002.webp
    DSC_0002.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0001.webp
    DSC_0001.webp
    48 KB · Views: 101
  • Pics-346.webp
    Pics-346.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0005.webp
    DSC_0005.webp
    24 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0006.webp
    DSC_0006.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0007.webp
    DSC_0007.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0008.webp
    DSC_0008.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Uniface Tools (39).webp
    Uniface Tools (39).webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Uniface Tools (33).webp
    Uniface Tools (33).webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Uniface Tools (40).webp
    Uniface Tools (40).webp
    97.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Uniface Tools (30).webp
    Uniface Tools (30).webp
    78 KB · Views: 124
Nice artifacts folks. Here's a few from VA.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_9659 (800x532).webp
    DSC_9659 (800x532).webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_9667 (800x532).webp
    DSC_9667 (800x532).webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_9669 (800x532).webp
    DSC_9669 (800x532).webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_9671 (800x532).webp
    DSC_9671 (800x532).webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 103
This is my latest one I found just the other day. It is a multipurpose tool. One end as a graver tip and the other is a round nosed knife or it could be a end scraper on the round side. Depends on which book you read and what period it came from. The little one with it I have no idea what it is.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2797.webp
    100_2797.webp
    195.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_2798.webp
    100_2798.webp
    231.3 KB · Views: 109
These 2 are the best ones I have found to date made from flakes.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2552.webp
    100_2552.webp
    190.5 KB · Views: 94
Wow Tom.. I bet that was used to decorate bone.. pottery..wood. I have a couple shell items I belive were used the same way... or Mabey micro drills I suppose..for things like shark teeth.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom