What's new

Gravers, Lets see yours.

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been picking these up for a while now. These are my most resent ones. I have others from the past 6 months. I was wondering what they were for a while now. They have a small tip on them and I faced them to the camera so you can see the tool ends. If you notice they really dont show much work except the nub end. They used a Graver for incising bone and wood from what I have read. All periods used them so it is hard to say what period these were made in. Id like to see other ones that everyone else has found so post yours. Thanks, rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_2807.webp
    100_2807.webp
    133.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_2808.webp
    100_2808.webp
    128.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_2809.webp
    100_2809.webp
    119.4 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0
For all the amount of Gravers I have found you would think I would find something incised :dontknow: but nothing yet.
 
here's a nice graver I found at a site that they cleared off the very next day and started construction on a large shop/house.

graver.webp graver2.webp
 
Thats a nice one! A real nice one.
 
Great thread Rock,
I'm pretty sure I have found a few of these a couple weeks ago, just never knew what they were.
Thanks,
BCI
 
I have a ton of those too Rock. I would post pics if I had some handy, but they are exact duplicates of what you posted!
 
Yeah some actually have secondary work on the triangular shaped ones I posted. Some dont. I believe some are awls in the mix and not all Graves that I posted. I am still learning this type of artifact. Here is some more I found last week. My camera is dead so there are some others mixed in with these posted.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2864.webp
    100_2864.webp
    165.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_2836.webp
    100_2836.webp
    123.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_2855.webp
    100_2855.webp
    160.5 KB · Views: 118
If I may ask, what are your opinions as to what exactlly were gravers used for? As gator pointed out (?), they were used to work the groves in the first photo in gator's post #3. Just was wondering.

I was just reading today that some were employed in the ancient art of tatooing. The ones they showed looked a lot like the one Charmin showed. Grim reaper has some that would also qualify as well as others. I never would have thought about it.

Here is an aside....there were plenty of scrapers that were used for head shaving as well. Some cultures shaved all but a small knot of hair left to grow.
 
For all the amount of Gravers I have found you would think I would find something incised :dontknow: but nothing yet.

i think all those pieces you first posted are not all gravers jmo
 
i'm thinking the little black piece is an arrow point laying on its side with the tip broke off?

Yes, you are probably right. My misidentification!

folder 3 003.webp
 
I was just reading today that some were employed in the ancient art of tatooing. The ones they showed looked a lot like the one Charmin showed. Grim reaper has some that would also qualify as well as others. I never would have thought about it.

Here is an aside....there were plenty of scrapers that were used for head shaving as well. Some cultures shaved all but a small knot of hair left to grow.

Do you have a link for that article on the tatooing, bravowhiskey? I'd like to read it if you do.


And how sharp do you suppose those scrapers would have to be to shave an Indians head?! :o
Osage Warrior.webp
(sorry to veer off the subject, rock!)
 
well dang, first link is no good go to second link and click middle arrow, see perdinales graver as well.

Great thread Rock, not trying to jack.

BW
 
well dang, first link is no good go to second link and click middle arrow, see perdinales graver as well.

Great thread Rock, not trying to jack.

BW
No problem I am getting interested in these.
 
Gator Boy; 4th photo is truly Outstanding! Happy Days :) Kat
 
Oh I thought maybe Perforators.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2887.webp
    100_2887.webp
    132.9 KB · Views: 108
DSCN3212.webpDSCN3209.webp
Knife river flint mostly from south dakota
 
Some small tools from the PNW, Or. and Wa. Perforators, gravers, etc. Agates, chalcedony, jasper, pet. wood, etc.
 

Attachments

  • phphBetwAPM.webp
    phphBetwAPM.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 127
  • phpIw8ueuPM.webp
    phpIw8ueuPM.webp
    47 KB · Views: 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom