🥇 BANNER Great day and super nice coin found

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This past Friday a friend of mine and I got together to drive to a seeded/Civil War hunt. We decided to take back roads along the way to possibly find a house or two to detect. On one house I was able to get permission on, the homeowner was super nice and walked me around the property and even told me about the history. He also told me it had been detected before and that I probably wouldn’t find much.

We started in the front of the house. I immediately dug a no date Buffalo nickel. Next target was a wheat cent which was only 2-3 inches deep. No big deal, but although with it being green I knew it was old. Usually I will pass wheats to a bigger pocket along with clad but I decided to place them in a plastic box because I had it on me. Hour later I found an Indian head cent 1 inch down. All the signals were mostly low and all over the place on my Equinox 600. In hindsight I tend to think this is probably why they missed them. I ended up with 4 wheats a Buff and a IH. My buddy ended up with 12 wheats and a 1917 Mercury dime but he moves faster than me. Lol- Later on when we got to the hotel I decided to check the dates. 1913-S, great date and a first for me. Then I noticed 1909-S, well great! and also my first “S” and only second 1909. I told him “what are the chances?”. I recently started having problems seeing up close so I used a magnifying glass. I flipped the coin over and what do I see? V.D.B. !!! Holy cow!

My buddy didn’t know what it meant while I was in shock. I always stay very calm but my heart was flipping. I called my dad who used to avidly collect wheats by the thousands until he went almost totally blind 2 years ago. I told him but I’m not sure if he believed me. I’m still a bit in disbelief.

I know it is an over-used saying but I can only say “they are still out there somewhere”, and “keep digging”. Even if we never find a key date or anything of consequence I think we are blessed to be able to do what we do. I’m 46 with tremendous back issues (I was physically sick with pain that day), and feel my digging days may be numbered so I’m thankful for every dig. Also for a guy who has never found a key or semi-key anything I feel extra blessed!

ACA43351-E5A9-48C8-85B3-82E0D6435530.jpeg

A4E010CC-B8FD-4FB9-B607-AEB917A3FE91.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 140

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, hadn't seen you post in so long, forgot all about you!

But Oh Man, you came back with a BANG.

Congrats, hope this made you feel far more healthy!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How bout a big fat Banner.....that's one killer key date right there.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Fan-Freaking-Tastic ! Got to be a BANNER !:)

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the Holy Grail of Wheat pennies. I just voted Banner for you. Congrats.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's what I'm talking about. Congratulations

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
now THAT is a dug coin! and having found it yourself, worth more than one in uncirculated condition too! (to you anyway)

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh man, the king of all wheat pennies, congratulations! Been a long time since a Lincoln made it's way to the banner!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks to be a really good strike too, can we please get a full pic of the reverse? At an absolute minimum that is a $600 dollar coin. Please don't clean it just yet, as it could be worth quite a bit more than that. I'm putting in my Banner vote as well. Outstanding find Sir!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Such nice condition, well done sir!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice. I rarely check the dates on mine. I guess I better start if people are willing to spend that kind of money for that coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread