Great Horned Owl

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't know they had already been photoshopped when I made that statement. He lives 30-40 minutes away so he didn't have time to do much photoshopping, I didn't think, although I didn't ask or try to find out. If they turn up anywhere else, I'll post them here and we'll see if they are cleaned up even more!

Just to clarify, by saying they were processed in Photoshop means that colors are balanced, perhaps a bit more contrast, sharpening, etc. This is standard practice among most digital photographers..you take what the camera shoots and make it better. This is simple processing, and much different than what most people think of as "photoshopped", when an image is seriously altered.

It's very easy to over sharpen an image, or, It may be that he didn't sharpen the image at all, and the owl was sitting at the max distance of that lens (doubtful). I'd dearly love to have a 500mm f/4.0.
drool.gif

Does your friend do other photography besides wildlife? I use Adobe Lightroom to process images, not as complex as Photoshop, but serves me well.

OP
OP
Tdog

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Uh oh! Saw a baby today! Gonna see if we can get John back up here to try and capture some more awesome images--of the owlet(s) this time.

OP
OP
Tdog

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, as of yesterday, I believe the baby left via branching. The nest looks like it has fallen apart and no sign of the owlet. However, we can still hear them hooting nearby and my wife thinks she heard the little one. We feel lucky to have seen as much as we did and the fact that John got those awesome shots is a bonus. Maybe he/she will grow up and hang around just like it's parents did. Not uncommon at all to hear them hooting here so they have been here for a long time and are here to stay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread