Great image of not so great nugget

chucktx2

Greenie
Nov 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first sale 011.jpg As a rule my images are lousey, but this one is pretter than the nugget really is. I wish I new what I did right. chucktx2

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet nuggie - Beautiful!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say that's a great nugget, myself. Congrats....good pic, too
Jim

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a tripod, take deep breath and hold before taking picture. Send all nuggets to me after picture as my fee. Thanks.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the first thing you did right was to FIND IT! Awesome nugget, I've never seen one quite like it!! What country was it found in? Then you've plenty of good light with a dark background and the nugget is on top of a contrasting color. A tripod is a good idea as it reduces any shaking or body movement when hand holding a camera though that means the camera must have a tripod mount built into it.

Depending on the camera model/brand/type, it is possible that it has a menu of types of photographic situations (landscapes, closeups, people especially from the shoulders to the head) and assuming the camera is digital, it would be useful to experiment with taking pictures to obtain focus on objects at close distances. But again, the lighting for your nugget picture is good and bright and that allows the automatic adjustment inside the camera to to use settings that increase the depth of focus for the picture. Taking closeups is tricky even more so in a macro setting so experiments are very worthwhile. Good lighting, use a tripod and use the timed release setting/remote control if the camera has one as then there is no camera shake when pushing the "shutter release button". And if you can not use a tripod then brace your arms against something to reduce shaking/blurring the camera/picture.....63bkpkr

OP
OP
C

chucktx2

Greenie
Nov 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fond it at Rye Patch, NV. RP is famous for great nuggets.
Thanks for the information,I must get a trypod.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome score and nice pic. :)

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Awesome Nugget. :icon_thumright:
I was out there for a few days last sept. Found some great crystals, but got skunked on the gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you find it that way or use acid to dissolve out the matrix rock?

OP
OP
C

chucktx2

Greenie
Nov 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No acid, mother nature, all the way.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, really cool specimen!!!

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
chucktx2,

You can either make yourself a light box such as this or buy a collapsible light box as in this link. The collapsible has the advantages of allowing the user to place lights outside of the box allow soft light to penetrate through the material. You can buy some simple clamp on lights. Then you can play with the lighting from the sides, back, and top to get the lighting affect you’re after. Another option is to make a PVC frame and use a white sheet draped over the frame and again using clamp on lights. Sorry did not want to highjack your thread but you and others can use this info. to photograph your finds and have outstanding photos. Remember to use a tripod, play with your depth of field (F stop on the lens), and keep your shutting speed low. Some of the small digital camera's will allow you to go into manual on the camera and allow you to select shutter speed and F stop.

With this simple lighting box you can make your photos pop out at you. Link to a collaspable light box, 2 Photo Cube Photography Light Tent Softbox Light Box 19"x19"x19" open Front | eBay

lightboxlit600.jpg

mariolit600.jpg

pvcb.jpg

Just a quick shot of my collection of arrowheads with no background other than the light box. Did not set up my lights on the collaspable light box in the first photo. The second just one light from one side.

img12241.jpg

img12271r.jpg

Attachments

• img12241.jpg
    img12241.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 106
  • img12271x.jpg
    img12271x.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread