Great Northern Cascade tunnel?

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever go check this out? My Grandpa (God rest his soul) worked for many years for Burlington Northern RR out of Seattle and Spokane and used to tell me this story EVERYTIME we'd go over Stevens Pass (gotta love the repetitive 'ole tymer stories!)

Apparently an avalanche took out a train or two while it was waiting for the tracks to be cleared. Most of the folks who perished were USPS workers and linemen for the railroad, but legend always told that the folks who walked out just before the avalanche only took the clothes on their back because of the severe weather conditions. Apparently the avalanche derailed the trains and carried them several hundred feet down the mountainside, presumably littering the hillside with personal effects and debris.

"About 1/2 mile southwest of the west portal of the old Cascade tunnel lies the remains of a 1/2 mile long snowshed. Most snow sheds were built out of wood and were much smaller. This snowshed was made out of concrete and is over 1/2 mile long. It's size and materials can be attributed to the grim reason it was built here in the first place. In 1910, one of the worst accidents is U.S. railroad history occurred on this very spot.
It was deep in the winter and snow was piling up on the line just west of the tunnel. Two passenger trains were
released from Leavenworth to head over the pass and through the tunnel, just as a major blizzard hit Steven's pass.
The trains were held at Cascade tunnel on February 25, waiting for the line ahead to be plowed. The next day, the
trains continued through the tunnel, but were again held at Wellington. As crews worked to clear the area at Windy
Point (three miles west of Wellington), they, and their rotary snowplows were buried.
A larger plow was available west of the train, but was trapped on the line by another slide. Without additional fuel, the plow was unable to dig itself out. Efforts to get a plow in from the east also failed. Passengers began demanding to be taken back up the hill into the tunnel to avoid any further danger of slides, but GN management would not allow it due to the dangers of asphyxiation within the tunnel. Food was growing scarce, both on the trains and in the town of Wellington. By February 26, telegraph communication had been lost. The next day some GN employees, as well as passengers on the train, set out by foot down the mountain. February 28th saw still more passengers deserting their train in an attempt to save themselves. The terrain was steep and treacherous, and the men marveled at the amount of snow that remained poised above the train. Merely climbing through the snow was impossible, and many could only slide down the mountain until something stopped them. Many were injured, but all who attempted to get out made it to Scenic. At 4AM on March 1st, a monstrous slide came down the mountain and buried the trains. Both trains were carried down the mountain hundreds of feet, and arrived twisted and some parts unrecognizable. Over the next few days, tremendous efforts were made by GN to try to get the survivor's out, but in the end, 96 had perished. Many were GN station men, postal workers, and construction workers that had been in the area at the time the trains slid down the canyon. GN was ultimately absolved of any blame in the disaster, though one of the causes was the elimination of trees along the GN right of way near the tunnel. Construction crews unfamiliar with northwest conditions, did not think removing the trees would have any impact, but they had actually created the precursor to the disastrous slide."

Here's a link to a website about it:

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=5127

I've always wanted to get up there and see what I can find!

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro
I've heard the story. It's also to my understanding that the trek down could be pretty hazardous. Definitely a place you'd not want to go yourself.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
The "trek" is not hazardous.

I haven't been to the site in years, but it is very accessible. There is a loop road that leaves Hwy 2 at Windy Point and joins the highway again close to the summit of Stevens Pass. It is part of the original highway. The rail stop of the place that used to be called Wellington is just off this road. There is a dirt road that turns off the loop road just above the West portal of the old tunnel. The area where the rail yard was located is fairly level. The east end of the old snow shed is to the right (North) and quite visible. Follow the rail grade to the snow shed. Count 100 pillars and take a left down the steep bank. There is still debris from the wreck at the bottom of the gulch and in the creek There was a lot of personal property that was never recovered from the wreck.

If you are unable to follow these directions, take a look at a good map of the area.

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Not sure which agency you need to check with, but I believe that whole area has been designated as a National Historic Site. I went up to check it out last spring, and they had just completed a brand new Interpretive Trail and put it on the Historical Register ie. no digging, no removing artifacts or relics, etc.. etc.. If anybody has a different scoop on this, please let me know. I was terribly disappointed to get up there just AFTER the trail was completed.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
From what I understand, just the "Snow shed" is on the register, as it is a historical building. I have never been there, but know a few people who have, and I hear it's pretty cool. Lots of stuff to be found from what I am told.
The museum here in Wenatchee has a big display telling the whole story, and even has a small scale replica of the mountain, tracks, town & trains. I can try to get some pics of it if I can sneak away from work for a little while.

Paul

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plan it soon, the weather's turning!

I would very much like to go, however I already have my last weekend over there on the westside planned. On Columbus day weekend, I'll be over there cutting up junk and scrapping it at my Grandpa-in-law's house. He passed away several years ago, and my wife's Grandma just passed away three weeks ago or so.

I leave North Idaho in Janurary and don't know where I'll be sent to next. If it's Fort Lewis, WA you'd better believe I'd be up for a group hunt next summer! Of course, I'm brushing off my knee pads and make a phone call for Europe. (sorry - Army guy joke! LOL)

If you DO make it a group hunt, I will look forward to seeing pictures!

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Ya Airborne I just noticed you live in Courdelane Idaho... So much for splitting the gas with you to go up there. lol...Well I hope you do get Fort Lewis. That's pretty much my back yard...

Lizzy

Jan 30, 2008
Just for your info:

The rail bed is part of the new Iron Goat Trail, see this website: http://www.irongoat.org/. Also included on this page is a warning about approaching the old tunnel. Basically here's what's being passed on: "In 1993, the Old Cascade Tunnel (along with the new tunnel) and the switchbacks it replaced, were designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. Recently, a trail and boardwalk to the west portal of the old Cascade Tunnel from the Wellington Trailhead was completed. It included interpretive signs at the portal and took you past several old structures. However, sometime during the spring of 2007, the top of the tunnel structure collapsed some 800 feet beyond the portal. Falling debris and loose dirt created unstable dams that randomly burst, creating flash floods that exited through the west portal, destroying the boardwalk and signs. Needless to say, the trail in that area is now closed (Sept. 2007) and you are no longer allowed to get a glimpse of the west portal via that trail."

Here's the website on the Wellington Avalanche: http://home1.gte.net/mvmmvm/index.html

greenacarina

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2003
Everett, WA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Cen Tech Pinpointer
This looks to be a very interesting site! I wonder how much of it is designated a "no digging zone". I would love to figure out where the hotel and pool hall/tavern were located and sweep the detector around. Either way I will have to head up there this spring and check it out, detector or not. Would love to tag along on a group trip as well.

Chris

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Me and Paul met up and detected around where we thought the old town of Wellington( Tye) was. We didn't find anything. Best guess is they dozed it all. We never did find the actual train wreckage. The snow shed itself is a site to see though.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
There was a special on the history channel about Wellington a few weeks ago. I just happen to be channel surfing & caught part of it (recorded on the dvr too).

I think it might be a fun summer group thing. The snow shed was pretty cool. I wouldn't want to hike through the tunnel though.

Paul

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
In my opinion, the best telling of the Wellington disaster is found in Ruby El Hult's book, "Northwest Disaster."

There is a good resource for other material relating to the incident.
http://home1.gte.net/mvmmvm/research.html

History says that Wellington was renamed Tye to let people forget about the nation's worst rail disaster. That isn't exactly true. The area called Wellington is just West of the Old Cascade Tunnel portal. Tye is located just off Hwy 2 on the rail route from the new tunnel (1929). As you pass Tye (to your right off of Hwy 2 when you are East bound), look to the left up the mountain. Above you is the Windy Point tunnel and snowshed. There is a window in the side of the tunnel that looks down on Tye.

If you are interested in where the buildings stood, check out the research resources at the above link. And for the detectorists.... There is still plenty of debris at the bottom of the ravine and in the creek bed.

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
Old thread, anyone know whether either the mail train (number 27) or the passenger train (number 25) had a StrongBox or Safe? I haven't been to the site but wonder whether they extracted and removed the locomotive and box cars as many times in those days it was too costly to remove heavy trains after a derailment/accident and instead they often just buried things on site.

Here is another thread discussing this incident. Apparently gold coins were found on site, perhaps from personal belongings. Would be an interesting area to comb through if it hasn't already been throughly done so by now.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread