Great Variety of Finds Today. Barber Quarter and SLQ!

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
hi everyone,

i headed out to the inland empire today with dan, aka captain SE. we both got some silver
and wheats.
i actually had a great day with a lot of variety in my finds. dan started out the day with a
couple of rosies right off the bat follwed shortly by a merc. after moving to another area
of the park i managed to pull up a war nickel. a very badly corroded war nickel, i might
add. i rechecked the hole and heard a low signal less than an inch away from the war nick. i
pulled out a '41 nickel. sweet. the area we were hunting was a sandy, hard packed area
right next to a lake. a short while later i got a high signal and pulled out a '51 wheat. i
rechecked the hole and heard another signal just off to the side of the hole. out popped a
silver quarter. i called dan over before even picking it out of the hole and asked him to
get it out and tell me what it was...he said, "boy, it's worn!" then he said one of my favorite words: BARBER!!! woohoo!! and in the same hole as a '51 wheat. that must've been
pure coincidence.

we moved along the edge of the lake and i got another good signal. dan listened to it and
said he liked it. out popped a worn merc. rather than wiping it, i rinsed it in the lake. it
was a '16 with no mint mark. DARN! a few wheats later i get yet another signal and proceeded
to dig out my second silver quarter of the day: an SLQ, baby! i couldn't believe my luck!

after a while dan said he was going to leave in 30 minutes, so we drove to another hard
packed area near another part of the lake and got to it. upon arriving, we noticed piles of
dirt along the path near the edge of the lake. they had installed numerous lightposts along
the path and beside each lightpost was a pile of dirt. there must have been 10-15 piles. the
third pile i checked gave me a low tone. i probed around with my X-1 and pulled out a no
date buffalo! on the other side of the same pile i found another '41 nickel. the rest of the
piles only put out three wheats. after i checked all the piles i decided to make the long,
traffic-laden trip home.

what a day! i can't believe i bypassed the washingtons and dove right into SLQ and BARBER
territory. don't know if i'll ever do that again!
thanks for coming out, dan! good hunting with you, as always.
totals:

1 '06 quarter
1 no date SLQ
1 '16 merc
1 '43 war nickel
1 no date buffalo
2 '41 nickels
20 wheats '18-'58

HH, everyone!
Mike

Attachments

• IE.JPG
    IE.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 605
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, a hunt this Great CERTAINLY deserves more replies than it's gotten. A two silver quarter day is only a two silver quarter day--except when NEITHER of them is a silver Washington! It doesn't matter how crusty those silvers are--Those are some excellent finds.

Congratulations!

-Buckleboy

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Mike, that SLQ of yours looks like a large Copper in your pic!!

It was a great and memorable day for you, although I'm sure the ride home was a B$%#@! You found some elusive old coins from an area that we, along with some other great hunters have detected more than a couple of times last year.

Great hunting with you Tuesday!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Wow...you got all the coins I'm looking for in one hunt! LOL Congrats!

miserman

Oct 25, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD F-pulse and Tek-Point pinpointers Sunray Pro gold headphones
Barber coins circulated to the early 50's ,it very well could have been lost with the Wheat Cent in 1951 or 1952!..... NICE FIND

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Oknorom, you frickin' rock, man! As Buckles for Jesus stated, this post does INDEED deserve many more replies. Great job, bud! You are bound to find many more of those Barber quarters in the near future.

It is nice to see you fellas still swinging with an extreme fever in SoCal. Keep up the great digging, man!

Kyle

coinsearcher

Feb 27, 2008
Central, CA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro W/ SunRay probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I wish I coulda gone! If you talk to Dan tell him to e-mail me me, I have wrote e-mails and I don't think he is geting them. But what a great day, nice finds.

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
That's some nice stuff! I can't wait to kick this flu and get back out!!!

~Tom

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt !!