Alan1967

Greenie
Dec 29, 2012
Putnam County Indiana
Detector(s) used
Soon to be a Bounty Hunter IV.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been looking at a few different models of detectors to see what's out there for a beginner. I'm thinking that I should keep it under a hundred bucks as a beginner. I hope I can gain some friends and some knowledge before I actually get started so that I'm not totally wasting my time from the get go.

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Aian, you can pick up a bounty hunter at Radio Shack or somewhere. Harbor freight has a detector for about $50, and I know I now see them for sale ar walmart. The only one mentioned I have experiance with is the bounty hunter, nothing fancy but just right for beginners like i was 5 months ago. sure it does not have all the bells and whistles like the ace 350 I have now but also the BH is easier to operate(it beeps you dig) and if it beeps there is something there, might be trash,jewelry,coins,junk metal, if its making a noise there is something below the ground. Being that its freezing out you may want to wait until spring, iwas just out today and wished I had a hatchet to cut open the ground and that was in a tot lot with wood chips to dig in,so I may be hanging it up for the year till thaw myself. Hope this helped, happy hunting,HH. Check out coin roll hunting on this web site, I believe that is my next hobby till the weather improves.

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Mick, Im up here in Schererville Indiana where abouts are you Im not familiar with that area, I will have to mapquest it. At any rate I think we are both done for the season. frost layers getting too deep for me,was out today and could barely break thru the ground using a 9 inch flat pry bar to dig (ground was frozen down about 3 inches), actually had the thought to get a rubber mallet to hit pry bar into the ground. Man what this hobby can drive you to do,lol. So I decided unless we get a heat wave I will just travel around scoping out spots, writing notes (short term memory) and just prepare myself for when the ground is soft enough to dig. Dissappointing yes but what else to do? oh yea get the battery operated chipping hammer out lol, crazy but it was a thought until I decided thats enough, sometimes you just got to say when and for me that was today. Keep in contactI do travel from time to time maybe we will meet up for a dig. Happy hunting.

73chevyvega

Jan 5, 2013
greencastle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the Greencastle area and have just began gold panning and metal detecting. I am always looking for tips or new places to go.

Alan1967

Greenie
Dec 29, 2012
Putnam County Indiana
Detector(s) used
Soon to be a Bounty Hunter IV.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Seek, thanks for the reply. I've been looking around at different places, Radio Shack, Wally World, Gander Mountain and I'm thinking I may go ahead and get one from GM. Probably gonna spend around a hundred and fifty on my first one.

non_cents1975

Jan 19, 2013
Greencastle, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Im also in the greencastle/putnam county area . this is also my first year maybe we can get together and learn together :dontknow:. I just bought a Fisher F2 and have used it once and found some clad coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread