What's new

Grinders, Lets see yours.

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this part of Georgia the Indians used these type of stones to grind with. Around here they call the "Grinders". Some other places they could be called Manos but in a oval shape. Pestles are usually a long cylinder shape. Then there is the Hoof Pestle and the Bell pestle.
If anyone would be so kind as to show their types I would really enjoy seeing them. I know mine are going to be hard to see the use wear on them due to the color of the stone. There are dimples on the stone I have posted, thanks rock
That took a long time to load.
 

Attachments

  • SDC10673.webp
    SDC10673.webp
    719.5 KB · Views: 112
  • SDC10674.webp
    SDC10674.webp
    507.9 KB · Views: 107
  • SDC10675.webp
    SDC10675.webp
    557.4 KB · Views: 106
  • SDC10676.webp
    SDC10676.webp
    531.4 KB · Views: 113
  • SDC10677.webp
    SDC10677.webp
    479.4 KB · Views: 108
  • SDC10678.webp
    SDC10678.webp
    513.3 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
In this part of Georgia the Indians used these type of stones to grind with. Around here they call the "Grinders". Some other places they could be called Manos but in a oval shape. Pestles are usually a long cylinder shape. Then there is the Hoof Pestle and the Bell pestle.
If anyone would be so kind as to show their types I would really enjoy seeing them. I know mine are going to be hard to see the use wear on them due to the color of the stone. There are dimples on the stone I have posted, thanks rock
That took a long time to load.

You know what would be nice? If someone would post pics with the "wear areas" circled or something so I could tell if the ones I have are those type of stones. I pick them up because they don't look the same as the rest but they look like each other (hope that made sense).
 
Some of the quartzite and sandstone types wont show very well in pics.
 
And that's mostly what I have. I'll take some pics and post them and see what you think.

If you notice the ones I have posted are kinda square. They are shaped in that square by grinding on the sides kinda like rubbing on a larger stone. The ones I have posted have dimples on each side from grinding.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom