Grooved Celt

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
An excellent example of a rare type. From South Dakota, and the only true grooved celt I have run into in these parts.

Larson, do you have any?

DSCN3212.jpg

DSCN3211.jpg

DSCN3213.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like I mentioned.. there was a transition from one way of hafting to the other.. they are all the same thing... just like a different style of projectile point can show it's age so too with the axe and celt.
It's no different than notches or not on a projectile point.
There's no "way" to be set in... just the presence of mind to acknowledge the change in hafting style and how it effected manufacture.

Gator, the grooved Celt would sit right beside the unfluted Clovis if they were in my collection. I see what you are saying, but the Celt is an axe with no present groove. The groove is the only thing that sets them apart. All I'm saying is if I owned this fine artifact, I'd call it a 1/2 grooved axe. I do think this piece shows transition, but grooved Celt is an oxymoron. Not trying to start a flame, and if I'm still misunderstanding you, I'm sorry.

GREAT FIND QUITO, MAN I WOULD BE EXCITED...GREAT JOB!!

GREAT FIND QUITO, MAN I WOULD BE EXCITED...GREAT JOB!!

Well, I sure was excited, but it was an acquisition a few years ago. It came from a very large personally found collection. The guys heirs were more into money than their dads incredible collection. And, my bad, it is from SOUTH, Not North Dakota, and it came from just a little south of Larson's haunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back