Not open for further replies.

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_20180725_082846461_HDR.jpg IMG_20180725_082911892_HDR.jpg IMG_20180725_083110944.jpg IMG_20180725_082934953_HDR.jpg 15326623254362804960715970997527.jpg 15326623881393552822071197213183.jpg 15326624170944135835723470538935.jpg
Found this in one of the creeks that I hunt

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just see rock with erosion, better luck next time.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm seeing the same thing others are seeing, a rock, with no indication the groove referred to is man made. The experienced members here are always going to give you their honest opinion, usually based on years of experience, and no bull at all will be involved when rendering those opinions. In other words, experienced members are not going to willfully mislead or misrepresent. An original poster may not like or agree with the opinions rendered, but he or she can count on those opinions being honest, and usually quite well informed....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(deleted for language)

Freemindedclark, we have rules on language, substituting characters for letters to bypass our censor still violates our rules. Please post by our rules.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologise for the rule violation but stand by my comment.

Sorry you don't like my opinion, it is based on 36 years of hunting and finding artifacts in fields, rivers, streams and creeks in the mid-west. There is nothing in pictures of the rock that suggests it was worked by man.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry you don't like my opinion, it is based on 36 years of hunting and finding artifacts in fields, rivers, streams and creeks in the mid-west. There is nothing in pictures of the rock that suggests it was worked by man.

I fail to understand the logic behind artifact identification. To me a polished Grove of that size would indicate that it was worked by man. It seems to me that a considerable amount of identification is based off of somebody's opinion.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I am by no means an expert, I have learned a lot from watching the more experienced folks on here identify artifacts and at the same time I have seen them extend their expertise in showing why many are not man worked pieces. Nature can cause holes, wear, grooves and it seems that many are asking for help but not wanting to learn to know the difference between a natural wear pattern and a man made one. It seems ridiculous to me that a novice(like myself) will ask for help and then argue that they know best.I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
While I am by no means an expert, I have learned a lot from watching the more experienced folks on here identify artifacts and at the same time I have seen them extend their expertise in showing why many are not man worked pieces. Nature can cause holes, wear, grooves and it seems that many are asking for help but not wanting to learn to know the difference between a natural wear pattern and a man made one. It seems ridiculous to me that a novice(like myself) will ask for help and then argue that they know best.I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I respect each individuals personal opinion. I think that there are to many people on this site that value thier opinion above all others. I am by no means an expert myself. At the same time I know this wasn't naturally formed. I am willing to learn. But it takes more than simply saying it's natural erosion to teach someone. How does one distinguish between a natural groove and a man made one when they are identical?

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I respect each individuals personal opinion. I think that there are to many people on this site that value thier opinion above all others. I am by no means an expert myself. At the same time I know this wasn't naturally formed. I am willing to learn. But it takes more than simply saying it's natural erosion to teach someone. How does one distinguish between a natural groove and a man made one when they are identical?

Yes, it does take more then "just a rock" or "natural erosion", or similar generic terms that don't convey much info. But, the difficulty that presents itself is that we cannot teach you face to face, live, handing rocks back and forth. It is actually a truly formidable task to elaborate lessons in a virtual format. It's actually extremely difficult.

Another "problem" that presents itself is that for experienced collectors, knowledge has become second nature, so that recognition as to whether rock or artifact can be near instantaneous, yet, because it is second nature, born of years or decades of experience, the original logical deductions and thought processes that produce answers are not easy to reconstruct for experienced collectors. That's what happens when knowledge, understanding, and recognition become second nature. So, while I can understand your frustration with "natural erosion", sometimes these brief, non detailed, answers are all that is possible in a virtual venue. It really is not our fault. To a great degree, the venue dictates it. It's far, far better when the rocks, artifacts, and teaching can take place in person. And explaining geological processes like erosion just ain't easy in any venue.

If you don't get the answer you prefer to get, you just need to live with it. People are still simply offering honest opinions, most based on experience. You can doubt the answers you receive, file them away, and continue to believe what you wish. Maybe the groove is man made, maybe it's a broken artifact that none of us can recognize as such from your photos. Maybe opinions would differ in person.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it does take more then "just a rock" or "natural erosion", or similar generic terms that don't convey much info. But, the difficulty that presents itself is that we cannot teach you face to face, live, handing rocks back and forth. It is actually a truly formidable task to elaborate lessons in a virtual format. It's actually extremely difficult.

Another "problem" that presents itself is that for experienced collectors, knowledge has become second nature, so that recognition as to whether rock or artifact can be near instantaneous, yet, because it is second nature, born of years or decades of experience, the original logical deductions and thought processes that produce answers are not easy to reconstruct for experienced collectors. That's what happens when knowledge, understanding, and recognition become second nature. So, while I can understand your frustration with "natural erosion", sometimes these brief, non detailed, answers are all that is possible in a virtual venue. It really is not our fault. To a great degree, the venue dictates it. It's far, far better when the rocks, artifacts, and teaching can take place in person. And explaining geological processes like erosion just ain't easy in any venue.

If you don't get the answer you prefer to get, you just need to live with it. People are still simply offering honest opinions, most based on experience. You can doubt the answers you receive, file them away, and continue to believe what you wish. Maybe the groove is man made, maybe it's a broken artifact that none of us can recognize as such from your photos. Maybe opinions would differ in person.

I agree with you all the way. Which is why I am frustrated by people labeling anything that is questionable or something they are unfamiliar with as natural erosion. Do they have such an ego that they are unwilling to admit that they don't know. Or say they would have to see it in person to make a thorough evaluation.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works both ways, some post rocks and become angry when told they are just rocks, their ego refuses to allow them to accept their "find" is just a rock even though multiple members with decades of collecting experiences have told them it is just a rock,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread