What's new

"Ground Edge".... Completely or Slightly?

OntarioArch

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2017
Messages
427
Reaction score
1,172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
(warning: I hope I am using the proper terminology - if not, please correct me!)

I have looked at a bunch of Clovis online photos to see what a 'ground edge' looks like: the flaking pattern has been ground down until smooth. And obviously, I have many 'flaked edges' / non-ground edges to see in my own collection.....but what would be most helpful is to see an edge that has been "lightly ground." Can you sometimes still see a little smoothed, reduced, inconspicuous flaking where the artisan perhaps did not completely grind away the flake pattern?

Here are some pics of the piece I am questioning: And do I understand correctly that grinding is indicative of Paleo or Early Archaic time period? Exclusively?

Thanks again!
IMG_2331.webp
IMG_2332.webp
IMG_2333.webp
IMG_2334.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The stem on your point shown is ground much like these Silver Lake points . Some are just dulled to take the sharp edge off its a paleo trait for sure and I find it on archaic points also .
 

Attachments

  • P8011065.webp
    P8011065.webp
    273.9 KB · Views: 97
Grinding is normally present on some (finished) Paleo points and on some (finished) Early Archaic points.
 
Rub your finger on the base, then rub your finger along the blade. You should feel the difference if it is ground. Paleo and early archaic usually ground, later periods, not so much. Gary
 
That is right. It can be seen,especially with a scope, but it's mostly a feel-thing. Light or heavy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom