What's new

Guanella Pass, CO

rginn

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
9,220
Reaction score
13,578
Golden Thread
0
Location
Summit County, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went over to Georgetown and took the road over Guanella Pass. (elev. 11,669ft) The road is paved these days and you can drive all the way down to 285, but we didn't go that far. Nice weather before the snow comes in tomorrow, and a good time of year to drive up to the pass as not many tourists up here.
 

Attachments

  • 10-25aa.webp
    10-25aa.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 10-25bb.webp
    10-25bb.webp
    152.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 10-25cc.webp
    10-25cc.webp
    101.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 10-25dd.webp
    10-25dd.webp
    132.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 10-25ee.webp
    10-25ee.webp
    79.3 KB · Views: 92
I went over this pass last summer and early fall. Real pretty mountain flowers up top there in the summer time. Always spectacular veiws no matter when you go over it for at least spring, summer and fall. I can only guess winter would also be wonderful to see from the top, but you'd only be able to see that with snowshoes on your feet, unless you own a snowcat.
 
Absolutely beautiful photos! So this was a silver mining area? What is the name of the town you photographed? Are there any silver mines still active?
I love the reflections! I would love to see the blue columbines someday. They are one of my favorites.
Very lovely, indeed. Thank you.
 
OMG that's stunning! Your photos are wonderful- thank you
 
That's Georgetown. It was founded as a gold camp in 1859 by two brothers but it didn't take long to figure out way more money to be made in silver mining. At one time the population was 10,000 and it was the third largest city in Colorado. It rivalled Leadville in production. The Silver Boom went bust in 1893 and that put the quietus on all that. Population is about a 1,000 these days and they're focusing on luring in the tourist trade. All the claims are still active, I'm sure, but I don't believe there's any active mines right around Georgetown. When that lake in the last pic freezes over in the winter they go out and race vehicles around on it. I think that's the only place in Colorado they do that.6-27c.webpHere's a pic of those columbines.
 
Thank you, very beautiful flowers! I figured that was the town after I posted and reread yours. Sometimes I just can’t keep my blondness from showing. :tongue3:
 
It’s beautiful! Love it! Will visit that area someday.
 
Yep, that'd be a pretty awesome dream vacation....so long as we could avoid the people! :laughing9:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom