Guernseys Mel & Deo Fisher treasure auction a bust. Why?

goldnsilver

Jun 25, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guernsey's Mel & Deo Fisher treasure auction a bust. Why?

Anybody following or bidding in the auction of the "Mel & Deo Fisher Collection" at Guernsey's in New York yesterday? It looks like 75 of the 125 lots failed to get a bid, including many of the silver cobs, and everything with a start above $100,000. What happened? Were the pre-sale estimates too high, falling metals prices, or maybe all of those counterfeit pieces handled in Key West during the 1980's and 1990's?

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats disappointing. I know Taffi had high hopes too as a portion of the proceeds were to go to benefit the Michael Abt, Jr.. Have a Heart Foundation.

OP
OP
G

goldnsilver

Jun 25, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was disappointing. Maybe Guernsey's will be able to find some post sale buyers for those important pieces. A few of the better unsold pieces with opening bid include: Gold Chalice - $350,000 Gene Lewis Emerald - $225,000 Gold Disc - $110,000 Gold Disc - $80,000 Gold Chain - $60,000
Deo's Gold Chain - $27,500 Gold Filigree Pyx - $60,000 Gold Spoon - $50,000 Square Emerald Ring - $47,000

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
I wonder why they didn't use Sedwicks?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The market will pay for fair prices. Over inflated prices will get ignored by those who know better.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody following or bidding in the auction of the "Mel & Deo Fisher Collection" at Guernsey's in New York yesterday? It looks like 75 of the 125 lots failed to get a bid, including many of the silver cobs, and everything with a start above $100,000. What happened? Were the pre-sale estimates too high, falling metals prices, or maybe all of those counterfeit pieces handled in Key West during the 1980's and 1990's?

The statement in bold is possibly one reason and the fact that there are many of these pieces still out there, some of which were graded and certified as authentic. Also, Darren in Trinidad hit on another great possibility when he wrote "The market will pay for fair prices. Over inflated prices will get ignored by those who know better".

Frank

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you must be getting invalid information from the auction site's software.

You need to have an account and log in to see the actual bids and sold prices.

Many of the items you posted were the final sales price after much bidding not the opening bid. As an example the pyx piece had a starting bid of $20k and sold for $60k

I believe there were only two items that didn't sell.

I personally know more than one person bidding on items and watched the auction live. There was plenty of bidding and many prices were pleasantly surprising... for someone that turns treasure into an income.

Rough calculations I've heard is around $1.5 million for the auction sales

-Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread