Guns on claims

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are mistaken on Federal Law concerning firearms purchase and possession Imadigger. Licensed dealers are not permitted to sell handguns to people under the age of 21. Unlicensed persons (general public) may not sell a handgun to anyone under the age of 18. State laws vary quite a bit though.

Mike

SUMMARY OF FEDERAL LAW

Federal law in this area distinguishes between long guns (rifles and shotguns) and handguns, and between gun possession and gun sales. Federal law also provides stronger age restrictions for sales by licensed gun sellers.
MINIMUM AGE FOR GUN SALES AND TRANSFERS

Under federal law —Handguns Long Guns (Rifles and Shotguns)
Licensed firearms dealersDealers may not sell or deliver a handgun or ammunition for a handgun to any person the dealer has reasonable cause to believe is under age 21.7Dealers may not sell or deliver a long gun, or ammunition for a long gun, to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18.8
Unlicensed personsUnlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18, with certain exceptions*.9Unlicensed persons may sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a long gun or long gun ammunition to a person of any age.

Minimum Age for Gun Possession: Subject to limited exceptions*, federal law prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by any person under the age of 18. Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of long guns or long gun ammunition.
*Exceptions: Federal law provides exceptions for the temporary transfer and possession of handguns and handgun ammunition for specified activities, including employment, ranching, farming, target practice and hunting.11

Entirely possible. Laws are never black and white and there are always exceptions it seems. I know in Ca. You have to be 21 to buy or posses a handgun. 18 for long guns.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Game laws on rifles in the field usually break down to center fire vs rim fire. Rim fire can usually be carried while big game seasons are underway. But taking this a bit further one could reasonably argue that a mining claim is "real property".....and "public domain" as opposed to "public lands". The rules of having a rifle on your private land is different than on public lands subject to a different standard of rules. It makes for some very interesting considerations. But not wanting to get into huge debates while out on a claim one might reasonably assume that the pistol open carry is more than adequate to alleviate any predator concerns or safety measures.

Bejay
yep, you are absolutely allowed to protect real property. A gun in camp on your claim is not unlawful. The idaho laws are state laws. Claims are Federal. If you were doing something dumb a law may be used against you.

Consider that there are many shooting areas on BLM F.S. land. target shooting does not have a season. An LEO isn't going to come stop you from having an uncased rifle while target shooting during deer season....

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I used to buy a hunting license for the season when I'm out JUST to prevent some know-it-all from giving me grief while I'm out . I even carry a hunter orange vest, AND I like to give the area a general clean up when I get there and hang that trash bag in my camp in a VERY obvious spot for when some jerk comes up and starts yaking about my "ruining " the" area...........I then ask him what has he done TODAY to help keep the area clean..............that usually stops their rant!

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Consider that there are many shooting areas on BLM F.S. land. target shooting does not have a season. An LEO isn't going to come stop you from having an uncased rifle while target shooting during deer season....

Just make sure that there isn't any blood running out of your tailgate.....

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
never go into the woods without a firearm. one time i did, and that was the day i had a lion 30yds from me and it wasnt scared either. not a good spot to be in. as long as it is not concealed and you are not in city limits you are ok in any state. as stated above, long guns during hunting season could get you haggled by the man.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Entirely possible. Laws are never black and white and there are always exceptions it seems. I know in Ca. You have to be 21 to buy or posses a handgun. 18 for long guns.
persons under 21 can possess a handgun in the field, with an adult present. transporting is the same. rifles may be possessed and transported by persons under 18. many a pheasant and dove was in the back of my truck, along with my shotgun when i first got my drivers license. this is california law. please dont take my word for it, look it up

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
persons under 21 can possess a handgun in the field, with an adult present. transporting is the same. rifles may be possessed and transported by persons under 18. many a pheasant and dove was in the back of my truck, along with my shotgun when i first got my drivers license. this is california law. please dont take my word for it, look it up

I’m aware of that. Thank god at least that has not been made illegal.
My kids are not 21 yet and have moved out on their own. No mommy or daddy to watch over them any more. Personal protection is 100% their responsibility.

Last edited:

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
63BKPKR, thank you for the information, great pics.
I will be going on a prospecting holiday in California and also trying to make a few contacts with a view to living and working in the US for a while, no intention to get or use a gun but at least I know how to use one. Will just keep some bear spray or such on me while out in the natural beauty of Northern California.
I won't venture too far off the beaten path as I won't be properly equipped being a tourist but bears etc are a bit of a worry so I can see why a handgun would be useful to try scare anything away. Dangerous wild animals will take some getting used to, never had to consider that before.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
63BKPKR, thank you for the information, great pics.
I will be going on a prospecting holiday in California and also trying to make a few contacts with a view to living and working in the US for a while, no intention to get or use a gun but at least I know how to use one. Will just keep some bear spray or such on me while out in the natural beauty of Northern California.
I won't venture too far off the beaten path as I won't be properly equipped being a tourist but bears etc are a bit of a worry so I can see why a handgun would be useful to try scare anything away. Dangerous wild animals will take some getting used to, never had to consider that before.

anything on 4 legs is more afraid of you than you should be of it. even when i had that lion near me i knew how to handle the situation. black bear attacks in california are very rare, ive stumbled into many of them. there is no need for worry. make your presence known and you will have no problems. a firearm can help in that 1 in a million chance of confrontation

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
a blank gun would be a great deterrent for any curious bears. cheap and very loud, they wont know the difference

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a blank gun would be a great deterrent for any curious bears. cheap and very loud, they wont know the difference
Have read that a road flair can scare bears as well and this one thinks bears will always have a fear of fire with some sound. Plus this is a very hot flame that can burn through almost everything out in the woods and the forests too. The bears are not going to hang around the flair unless the bear wants to eat you later after the flair burns out. Don't burn down the forests though when the flair burns out.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a road flare and a forest....about the worst combo anyone can suggest.

Bears don't like people. If you come across one and it stands up it is most likely trying to smell you they don't see well.

If it smells you and doesnt turn to leave it may not be that used to people or it's never learned that for bears people suck.

Yell and throw stuff at it (you won't hurt it it's a bear) that normally does the trick. Be prepared for it to only go far enough to not feel threatened any more.

If it had intent before you come across it it will most likely keep going to where it was heading.

I've lived in Alaska, Montana and the Sierra Nevada for a good chunk of my life.

I would never consider bear spray an option. I can throw stuff farther than I can spray bear spray or wasp spray.

If throwing stuff and yelling had never worked I would have shot a bear by now.

I am much more confident with my 1911 than I am squirting hot sauce at a bear

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a road flare and a forest....about the worst combo anyone can suggest.

Bears don't like people. If you come across one and it stands up it is most likely trying to smell you they don't see well.

If it smells you and doesnt turn to leave it may not be that used to people or it's never learned that for bears people suck.

Yell and throw stuff at it (you won't hurt it it's a bear) that normally does the trick. Be prepared for it to only go far enough to not feel threatened any more.

If it had intent before you come across it it will most likely keep going to where it was heading.

I've lived in Alaska, Montana and the Sierra Nevada for a good chunk of my life.

I would never consider bear spray an option. I can throw stuff farther than I can spray bear spray or wasp spray.

If throwing stuff and yelling had never worked I would have shot a bear by now.

I am much more confident with my 1911 than I am squirting hot sauce at a bear

Ya, kind of the same with a human attacker.....1911 or pepper spray...hmmmm??? :laughing7:

:laughing7: Well? cook the bear from the fire, then use the hot sauce?

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Black bear story: I was mule deer hunting UP a ridge in N.E. Oregon. Very quiet game trail in open timber when all of a sudden a sow popped out in front of me about 20 yds. in front of me coming pedal to the metal so to speak DOWN the trail. I did not hear a sound of her running at all and she was probably spooked by another hunter. She hit the brakes in an instant when we recognized each other at the same moment and stood upright, then in a flash her cub that was behind her running full steam ran into her and somersaulted four or five times past her and ended up about five yds. from me. My .308 was up and on her and I honestly didn't know whether to laugh, but didn't because of the old rule of a sow with her cub being dangerous. I hollered at her to PLEASE go on your way because I don't want this to end up with injuries or a fatality. At that she and her cub following her booked it off to the side and down the hill. Lessons learned: Be aware of your surroundings and don't follow too close. ha ha True story, I swear.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
great story. ive bumped into so many. luckily always 30 yds or more away. youre right they dont see well, and their hearing isnt as keen as a deer either. so the chances of getting close to them is greater.

one time i saw a group of hogs go into a small thicket, after waiting awhile i went and kicked the brush. first bush i hit a pig jumped over. i could have touched it with my barrel. that was a close one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread