Guns on claims

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess guys from Idaho could give you the local take on things, but no, there shouldn't be a problem on Federally managed lands.

Mike

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pistols are fine, as far as I know, but during hunting season you may have a problem with long guns. To carry an uncased rifle or shotgun in the field, during hunting season, you have to have a hunting license....unless that law was changed when they made concealed carry legal without a permit. Actually, when I think about it, that applies year-around, because there are species, like coyotes, you can hunt year around, assuming you have a hunting license.
Feds don't care.
Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wahoo

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim, I have a S&W .44 mag strictly for bears. Not that I'm hunting them, but prospecting placer mines in the back country calls for protection from beast and man!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be from a foreign country.
If your a human, there is no portion of the United States where your unalienable rights do not apply. That’s regardless of what ANYBODY tells you. God gave you that right to protect & preserve your life. Our country’s governing documents acknowledges that. It has nothing to do with citizenship.

However, the contrary may be shown, thus revealing flaws in our supposedly perfect system.

Be careful when searching for treasure.

Has nothing to do with our second amendment in my opinion. Take that how you will,

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we all be concerned with, while prospecting, mining and going about our daily lives is the relentless assault on all of our constitutional rights. Pertaining to the above discussion, I just heard on the news, no less than a former US Supreme Court Justice, John Paul Stevens, is calling for repeal of the 2nd amendment.

Please vote,
Mike

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we all be concerned with, while prospecting, mining and going about our daily lives is the relentless assault on all of our constitutional rights. Pertaining to the above discussion, I just heard on the news, no less than a former US Supreme Court Justice, John Paul Stevens, is calling for repeal of the 2nd amendment.

Please vote,
Mike
Now...I was just about to say this is (should be) a non-political issue.

Just get out there and find treasure..but be careful about your and your family’s well being.
It’s something we all used to be able to agree about regardless of anything else.

I probably side tracked the discussion, but reassuring a treasure hunter, they can protect themselves from the wild while searching for treasure in the United States should be ok right??

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes protecting yourself out in the 'back country' from anything that threatens you is a right of a citizen of the U.S.A. There are those in this country that do not agree with that so please take them into the 'back country' with you and let them fend for themselves out there.

S&W 44 Mag is a good noise maker, I use my 454 Casull in the same manner...............63bkpkr

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes protecting yourself out in the 'back country' from anything that threatens you is a right of a citizen of the U.S.A.
Does that not apply to everybody? Having nothing to do with immigration? A visitor has those same rights.

During the California Gold Rush, all the miners didn’t apply for citizenship, yet they all had the right to life, did they not? That is not something new that was granted. It was just acknowledged as existing. We “should” still have all the basic “rights” the miners did in the old days.
Back then it wasn’t even a question.

Lastly, it has zero to do with a mining claim or the back country.

Ok rant off.

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning 2 AKM's and 8M3 ammo for my Alaskan trip. Remember this, when SHTF happens, you're marksmanship ability drops like a rock.

I get out the Saiga 12 now when I spot wolf or bear tracks on the beach.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious so I did some searching on Idaho gun laws. Couldn't locate anything on non-residents but residents can pretty much do what they want outside of city limits.

https://www.idaho.gov/laws-public-safety/gun-weapon-law/
Do you suppose living in Idaho grants you special rights that other people do not have?
It shouldn’t be a resident/non-resident issue unless you are talking about a privilege. In that case the state may grant
special status. Hunting would be an example.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Idaho's law about uncased firearms in the field, without a hunting license, has nothing to do with resident/nonresident....it applies to everybody. But, I've never heard of anybody being hassled about handguns. I don't worry about it as I rarely carry anymore. I count on my awareness of other people in the backcountry to keep myself safe. Animals don't worry me at all. But, I pay careful attention to my surroundings...don't like surprises.
I always carry a very large, and very sharp knife, however. :-) I rarely encounter armed people when out in the boonies. After a lifetime in the outdoors, I feel safe out there. Probably more so than when in town.
I should say that the laws may have been changed, too. I've been here a long time.
Jim

Last edited:

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,

Just curious about the gun situation in the US, how about visitors who enter the US as tourists?

Regards

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,

Just curious about the gun situation in the US, how about visitors who enter the US as tourists?

Regards

Your rights are the same whether you are a citizen or a visitor. Visitors have additional restrictions on their visit terms but not on their natural rights. If a citizen has a right to bear arms so does a visitor.

Heavy Pans

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Clay Diggins,

That is very open minded of the US.
Will be visiting California this Summer to prospect around but I will have no access to or need for a gun but it is good to know the rights apply to visitors, quite amazing coming from UK.
Here we had to join a gun club to learn how to shoot targets with a .22 using a proper jacket and sling. It is quite a skill to learn but there are expert marksmen who teach the best methods.Everything must be kept inside the club for safety.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Like they told us in the Army, always be aware of your surroundings and good luck if we don't here form you again.Just kidding:laughing7:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho's law about uncased firearms in the field, without a hunting license, has nothing to do with resident/nonresident....it applies to everybody. But, I've never heard of anybody being hassled about handguns. I don't worry about it as I rarely carry anymore. I count on my awareness of other people in the backcountry to keep myself safe. Animals don't worry me at all. But, I pay careful attention to my surroundings...don't like surprises.
I always carry a very large, and very sharp knife, however. :-) I rarely encounter armed people when out in the boonies. After a lifetime in the outdoors, I feel safe out there. Probably more so than when in town.
I should say that the laws may have been changed, too. I've been here a long time.
Jim

I look at it from the perspective of a camp fire permit. Sure they say a permit is required, but nobody can deny you the right to build a fire to survive. That means you can carry a book of matches around just in case the need arises.

These laws are a social compact. We agree to follow them up until the point that they affect our ability to live.

"I rarely encounter armed people when out in the boonies."
I bet you encounter more armed people than you realize.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions