What's new

GW Button!!!

Old School Evan

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Historic Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to a large site with several cellars yesterday with my buddy JW15 and to our dismay we found that all the cellars were previously well hunted... Despite this, the day was not lost, JW15 ended up pulling several nice buckles and a Conneticut Copper. I also found a 1788 Conneticut copper, and some sweet buttons. Nearing the end of the day I was just detecting minding my own business on the very outskirts of a cellar site near the base of a hill when I get a fairly decent signal, not a dead ringer I am a large copper dig me signal, but a fairly decent signal worthy of definitely digging. Anyways it was right up against the base of a tree, and had a mass of roots in my way. It took a good 5-10 mins to even get to this object. I finally pulled out my prize and was pretty psyched to see I had pulled a nice large frock button!!! I then yelled out to JW15 that I had pulled a frock, and then proceeded to wipe it a little to see if I had any patterning. Low and behold I see two undescipherable letters in the center of the button. I got very excited and ran to JW15. I defintely wanted him to witness this moment if this was really going to be one of the most coveted relics I have been looking for. I finally wiped the button again and what appears but a "GW" in large bold lettering in the center of the button!!! I definitely was psyched and hooted and hollered in amazement. I am just still in shock that I actually pulled something personally touched and handed out by General George Washington!!! Anyone have any ideas on how to clean this properly??? So far I have only soaked it in hot water because I am too petrified to clean it with anything else at the moment...

Happy Hunting,

-Evan
 

Attachments

  • gw2.webp
    gw2.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,635
Upvote 0
Awesome find and as a few others have said leave it alone as it's gorgeous the way it is. :thumbsup:
 
Great find!! This must be the year of GW buttons.
 
that's a great thing you found, super shape for the age
congratulations on the banner
 
My husband just got that same button last week! I guess they are more common than I first thought. :o
 
Congrats on the Banner and a Nice GW Button and welcome to TreasureNet. This has been quite a year for George Washington Buttons :occasion14:
 
HuntersWife said:
My husband just got that same button last week! I guess they are more common than I first thought. :o

They do seem to pop up on T-Net every few months but they are still pretty rare and everyone on this site would love to find one...or a set of four like a few people have done.

Great find and congrats on the banner.

NJ
 
congrats ;D great find,personally i'm leery of cleaning anything i find for fear of ruining it.
 
That beautiful button is a piece that most of us can only dream about, congratulations. HH
 
Congrats on the GW button, great find! HH, Mike
 
Great button and a day you will never forget. :thumbsup:

If that is green patina, leave it as is! It's as good as it's going to get.
 
Good thing you didn't give up. That's a good find..did you find it on your own land or in a park?
 
Congrats on a great great find! And a well deserved Banner!! :thumbsup: Wish we could find these in the midwest! jgas
 
Outstanding find! What a piece of history.
 
That's the holy grail of buttons! They came in sets of 4 and were all strung through with a single ribbon inside the coat so they are often lost as a set go back and find the other 3! :headbang:
 
Don't clean it---cleaning could ruin the value---that old patina is good not bad--CONGRATS!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :hello2: :headbang: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :icon_thumright:
 
Huge congrats on a find of a lifetime!
 
Awesome Banner find, & Welcome. :thumbsup:

Fossis.............
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom