Had a "Blast" Digging a Revolutionary War Cannonball!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry the photos are small, something isn't working out .Probably have to click on them to see them larger.

So today I returned with my buddy to the site where I found my first Revolutionary War button, a British 10th Regiment of Foot Button

I started off the day by digging this cool Colonial pewter spoon bowl:

Colonialspoonbowl.JPG

After this find things slowed down for a bit, but this wouldn't be the case for long. After swinging around some more, I got a bouncy mid-tone. After taking a few shovelfuls of dirt out of the hole, I saw a rusty iron object with a round shape. After a more little digging, more of the object was revealed and with Rev War activity in the area, "cannonball" crossed my mind, but I thought for sure that it had to be something else. After digging down to almost a foot, I realized what was at the bottom of my hole and continued digging very quickly, trying not to damage the thing, as excitement flooded through me:

Cannonball in the hole.jpg
(Screenshot from a video my buddy took of me digging the cannonball out)

After finally getting it out I was fairly well in shock! I was holding a Revolutionary War cannonball in my hand!

Cannonball1.JPG

Cannonball2.jpg

Based on measurements (4 inches in diameter) and weight (roughly 9 pounds) I believe this to be a 9 pounder cannonball from the American Revolutionary War!!!

This is the first cannonball I have ever found.

cannonball3.jpg

June11thfinds.JPG
All the finds from today

I still cannot believe that I had the privilege to dig such a piece of American History today!

VTColonialDigger

P.S. All I have done so far to clean it is scrub it down with a brush and water. I am planning to do electrolysis on it at some point soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 38

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting