Had another brain fart

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went to feed the cows yesterday, and while i was waiting for the calf's to get done i decided to detect, the ground looked freeze dryed so i thought what the heck and got a good signal ,layed my detector down to do my big jump on my shovel and man did i feel like Wiley coyote, you know a shovel has really got some spring to it when its 10 degrees and the ground is like a rock, it flipped me for a loop, i then remembered all the to cold to detect threads on here :laughing7:

I feel your pain!

In Massachusetts, our open ground is frozen solid, but the woods still offer a bit of hope at least for the time being.

As I sit here nursing my JAVA:coffee2: I know I have a few wooded spots only a few minutes away I can still manage to get a shovel into the loamy soil. Then my partially frost bitten fingers still a bit numb from pushing it too far a week ago remind me it just isn't worth it. I was actually checking reviews on heated gloves to keep on the hunt but, the better ones cost about $180.00 dollars!:o Not to mention I have a lot of flat surface recovery I need to do in my home from hauling a seasons worth of finds home and displacing every flat and level spot available with them. I do need to get out and make sure my car starts in this single digit weather. Jeff of Pa has been experiencing some issues with a frozen motor not wanting to crank over. I don't need that. Say hey to Bessie for me.:hello:

Last edited:
No problem here for making my mind up if I'll be able to get some digging done. First photo is for those are in the land of the down under.:)

20180101_073242.jpgfullsizeoutput_344.jpeg

Last edited:
been any where from -3 to the mid teens here for the last week , I probably wont be heading out for awhile , like maybe March or April....lol

.....i may have to take my batteties out....till spring thaw.....but i don't want to.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Check this out. It's been horrible cold this whole week. Last night 4 degrees. So today, smokeythehardhead went to the edge of the woods to see about detecting. I got through the 4 inches of icy ground with no problems. Not one, First smack and I was through. The mistake is to use a shovel. You have to have a pick ax, THEN resort to small bladed shovel. I'm going to the beach tomorrow it's going to warm up to 21 degrees and a whopping 32 on Wednesday.

You have to have a pick ax, THEN resort to small bladed shovel.

APB: Be on the lookout for a man with pick ax roaming the woods. Considered armed and dangerous. Shoot first and ask questions later...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back