What's new

Car/battery/oil finally Froze :(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,926
Reaction score
76,404
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no use calling AAA I don't have any Drinks.

yikes.webp

froze.webp

Seriously though, Will save me Gas, I've been walking out every morning & running it for 30 Minutes. Didn't help. and even If they come haul it to the Garage,
It may need to be hauled out again & again til temps finally go up.

probably better to wait for the oil to loosen.
 
Last edited:
Jeff
Sorry to hear about car,i`v been doing the same starting every day but i didn`t do it yesterday and i`ts Minus 2 here this morning.
Gary
 
Hope the coolant didnt freeze jeff.It will blow all of the freeze plugs out.That happened to me before.
 
Jeff
Sorry to hear about car,i`v been doing the same starting every day but i didn`t do it yesterday and i`ts Minus 2 here this morning.
Gary

I was going to give it an Evening start last Night,
so the oil wouldn't be so thick this Morning. Now I can kick myself
for not Doing it :BangHead:

I knew first Thing when I stepped out the Door today.

for the last week , I've Doubled up on Hoodies,
& Fashioned myself a Face mask out of a wash Towel.
Because the Cold gives me Chest/lung Pains.

I haven't felt cold walking to my Car
& Back,
till this Morning.
the Cold sunk right Through this morning :(

I'm somewhat Confident if it hits 29 & The sun beats on the Hood of My car,
it should get that Quick initial Spin to Crank over & fire up.

But I'm not as Confident on the 29 & sunny :(
They already Changed the first day to reach above Freezing Back a day :(
 
Last edited:
Hope the coolant didnt freeze jeff.It will blow all of the freeze plugs out.That happened to me before.

I didn't test it this year, But it was about 30 Below Protection last year when I did
 
Is this a veiled cry for help? Does someone need to step in on behalf of your best interest? Are you being held captive? Should we send a padded van over before it freezes up too? What is wrong with people subjecting themselves to this torture year in year out? It's a madhouse! Keep warm and stay safe. :tongue3:
 
Is this a veiled cry for help? Does someone need to step in on behalf of your best interest? Are you being held captive? Should we send a padded van over before it freezes up too? What is wrong with people subjecting themselves to this torture year in year out? It's a madhouse! Keep warm and stay safe. :tongue3:


Yep Everyone Rip those Exhausts off your Vehicles,
Set every abandoned tire on Fire.
Throw your trash in the Rivers ,
Maybe open the windows & Spigots at the Nuclear Power Plants.


& get that Global Warming Percolating !
 
Jeff, I don't know what kind of car you have but I always kept a drop light w/a 100 wt. light bulb layin on top of the intake next to the carb & never failed to start my car. That was when you could get to the carb on a car. My new ones have always started. A balmy 5 deg's here in MO. Happy New Yr. & good luck. P.S. You didn't want to get out tonight anyway, it's amateur night.
 
'99 Saturn

it's been turning hard in the mornings for about a week now.
thick high mileage oil
 
You can always do what the germans use to have to do on the russian front,build a small fire under the oil pan :laughing7:
 
Single digits here in mo also, so cold this morning I thought I saw a yeti. you can go to your local auto parts and get a magnetic heater, stick it to you're oil pan works like a block heater. good luck
 
Sorry, Jeff. You need some winter weight oil in that thing. Our HIGH temp yesterday was minus 6, minus 15 right now.
 
Lots of things can be done for this little problem. Run a winter oil (thinner) instead of a summer oil. Install a block heater/inline heater and plug it in on the really cold nights. Plug in even an electric blanket on low over the motor will do the trick as it will keep the worse off.
Winter sucks and it really sucks when the temps get low woke up this morning to -28C with a windcill of -35C so it's cold. Our capital has cancelled our 150 celebrations tonight as it's too dangerous having folks out celebrating on mass in this cold. Though they'll still do the fireworks/laser show, doesn't matter how cold it gets folks love fireworks.
 
I know nothing about car maintenance ( well a little) but I do know about lungs hurting from the cold. I’m sorry your car kicked it.
 
'99 Saturn

it's been turning hard in the mornings for about a week now.
thick high mileage oil

Worth a try.........My dad use to put a light bulb by the oil pan & a heavy blanket between the Eng. & hood. His 1947 willies(left outside) in 20-30 bellow would always start up,the next morning.
 
My 96 Ranger died last week - alternator went , power steering fluid was leaking 8 ounces a day , heater stopped heating , E-brake cable snapped , and the frame has a crack in it .
So I went on craigslist and bought a 96 Subaru Legacy Outback for $700.00 . An 85 year old woman owned it , her son had to put her in the nursing home . it is AWD , it has heated seats , cruise control , power windows , air . It only has 102,000 miles .
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20171215_120709.webp
    IMG_20171215_120709.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 112
My 96 Ranger died last week - alternator went , power steering fluid was leaking 8 ounces a day , heater stopped heating , E-brake cable snapped , and the frame has a crack in it .
So I went on craigslist and bought a 96 Subaru Legacy Outback for $700.00 . An 85 year old woman owned it , her son had to put her in the nursing home . it is AWD , it has heated seats , cruise control , power windows , air . It only has 102,000 miles .

Now that is a great bargain! You will get another 100,000 from it.
 
Sorry, Jeff. You need some winter weight oil in that thing. Our HIGH temp yesterday was minus 6, minus 15 right now.

Yea Last oil Change I put in High Mileage Oil,
& Instead of getting a Change when it was down a quart,
I dumped in a Quart of Lucas Motor Oil.
For those unfamiliar with it. Lucas is like a Quart of STP
was planning on waiting till spring for my next change
 
Lots of things can be done for this little problem. Run a winter oil (thinner) instead of a summer oil. Install a block heater/inline heater and plug it in on the really cold nights. Plug in even an electric blanket on low over the motor will do the trick as it will keep the worse off.
Winter sucks and it really sucks when the temps get low woke up this morning to -28C with a windcill of -35C so it's cold. Our capital has cancelled our 150 celebrations tonight as it's too dangerous having folks out celebrating on mass in this cold. Though they'll still do the fireworks/laser show, doesn't matter how cold it gets folks love fireworks.


there are cancellations around here also
 
My 96 Ranger died last week - alternator went , power steering fluid was leaking 8 ounces a day , heater stopped heating , E-brake cable snapped , and the frame has a crack in it .
So I went on craigslist and bought a 96 Subaru Legacy Outback for $700.00 . An 85 year old woman owned it , her son had to put her in the nursing home . it is AWD , it has heated seats , cruise control , power windows , air . It only has 102,000 miles .

My Saturn came from Craig's List about a year and a half ago.
this is the first issue
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom