Hair raising experience!

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I would like to say hey, this is my first post. I would like to share an experience that my wife and I and our 2 young kids had while out treasure hunting in N. Utah.

A friend of mine at work told me a story about one of his neighbors who was an avid rockhound. He was up the canyon looking for unusual rocks one day and sat down on a big rock to eat lunch and the rock moved. So he stood up and looked closer and could see something under the rock. Turns out it was 2 old canvas style bags filled with coins. At that time he heard voices coming up the trail so he covered them back up and quickly left the area for fear someone was coming to get their stash. He went home with the intent of returning the next day to see if they were still there. Well, to make a long story short, he was never able to locate the spot where he stopped to eat. I know a little history about this area and it makes scense because of all the stage coach and bank robberies that took place, that someone might stash their take in the area he was in.

So I packed my goldpans and metal detector and took the wife and kids for a hike. We got about halfway up the canyon, turned on the detector and it didn't work. Just put brand new batteries in it, fiddled around for a few min. and finally gave up, broke it down and put it back in the pack. About that time I started to get this feeling that we were being watched. Well I wasnt about to give up so we hiked further up the canyon looking for that rock he might of sat on. All the while looking over our backs. It was really getting spooky. I wanted to keep going, but the wife and kids wanted to get out of there. We made it back to the truck and put the detector back together, it worked fine. Now I want you all to know we dont scare easy, weve spent alot of time hunting, fishing and camping. Some things just happen, why I dont know, but what we felt that day was real.

Has anyone else had similar experiences while out in the great outdoors, I would love to hear them.

Paul

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
That my friend really intrigues me! And I do happen to have some really weird things that have happened to me over the years, it will have to wait several hours until I get home.

Anyway I would love to extend to you a very big Welcome to have you here with all of us at TreasureNet..gotta love this place, of all the resources on the web, this is in my experience one of the best, if not the best.
Hope to share lots with you.

Mike

Last edited:

chazman

Jan 21, 2014
the sticks
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuggetdog, yeah, now and then I get the odd strange sensation. I usually chalk it up to some critter watching me. we've got a lot of bears and cougars in my neck of the woods and they will stalk a person... and if you're at all aware then you'll generally "feel" it.
as for equipment failure, electronics do all sorts of weird things in the great outdoors. I worked in the middle east for ages and our gps units and other electronic equipment were always on the fritz. they don't like the heat, dust or cold. fussy things.
whenever I have equipment failure that changes my plans I always just thank God and figure He's keeping me from some experience that would be much worse than a minor inconvenience.
happy hunting!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty impressive first post nuggetdog, and welcome aboard. As far as hair raising unexplainable stories, I have many.

TnTom

Dec 27, 2013
Woodbury Tn
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't stop looking until I found it! GPS the place and look under everything for as far as one could walk in a given length of time. It would have to be Me (1) Ghosts (0) lol What if it were all gold or just silver!!!! or BOTH

Have you stopped looking its probably a fortune laying there.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in the ocean in the shark bite capital of the world, never seem to give it a second thought until someone plants the possibility in my head. Several years ago I was going to do a solo kayak trip down the Wind River for four or five days. In accordance with the regulations at that time I had to do all of my advanced planning through the Ranger/Park department, no big deal. After I got into contact with them they sent me all the required information, etc., and even a preparation guide, and in that guide, in very BOLD letters it proceeded to WARN me that I WOULD encounter grizzlies. So, I read up on the dangers of grizzlies, even got a detailed book about grizzly attacks, about how they can stalk you and how they have been known to drag folks right out their tents, a lot of hair raising details in all that information. Needless to say, I never did take that trip. Point is, once something has been planted into your head it's hard to shake, especially once you start to entertain all the possibilities.

zacc1758

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never hunt without a .45 strapped on my hip. It gives me piece of mind when I am out in the middle of nowhere.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt in the ocean in the shark bite capital of the world, never seem to give it a second thought until someone plants the possibility in my head. Several years ago I was going to do a solo kayak trip down the Wind River for four or five days. In accordance with the regulations at that time I had to do all of my advanced planning through the Ranger/Park department, no big deal. After I got into contact with them they sent me all the required information, etc., and even a preparation guide, and in that guide, in very BOLD letters it proceeded to WARN me that I WOULD encounter grizzlies. So, I read up on the dangers of grizzlies, even got a detailed book about grizzly attacks, about how they can stalk you and how they have been known to drag folks right out their tents, a lot of hair raising details in all that information. Needless to say, I never did take that trip. Point is, once something has been planted into your head it's hard to shake, especially once you start to entertain all the possibilities.

This post reminded about some postings of warning signs in Grizzly Bear country! See pic below. LOL!! Funny but at the same time not.

GrizzlyBearWarningSign.jpg

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
So this will probably sound far out in left field.
My family has some property *up north* and on the property there is a swamp if you will, actually we call it the bottomless pit as once it ate a quad and it sunk into the muck and was never recovered, even 30 foot poles could not touch it.
Anyway as I just happen to love spending time in the woods, one day while investigating some markings on a few of the large rocks that are in the area near the bog, I sat down to have some lunch.
I always keep a small portable radio with me, cannot pick up much of anything out there except for one am station.
So moving through the dial to get my station, I heard a strange signal of sorts, it was not even close on the frequency to any known broadcasters in the region, it like your story intrigued me so I sat there listening to it.
To best describe it, it was similar to Morse code, only much faster than any human could type out, fast to the point of almost a constant hum, but not quite, more fascinating to me is the fact that it changes in pitch without me moving.

Now by now most are thinking what's weird about that ?
Well to me now here is what gets interesting, this broadcast apparently originates AT the bog, as you can walk all around the bog and hear the signal, however as soon as you move 40 feet from the edge of the bog in any direction, the signal is lost.
Being a scientist at heart, I immediately started a process of eliminating any other origins.
I spent the next several weeks walking miles all over the area at least in places I could not get a quad into..I know all land owners in the area so that was not an issue.
Walking gave way to then driving pretty much all over my great state trying to establish that signal anywhere other than the bog, thus far I have failed in trying to find such a place.
I have even contacted friends/family in neighboring states to see if they could pick it up in their areas..no luck.
That was five years ago, to this day that same signal can be heard at the bog and seemingly nowhere else.
I get a overwhelming sense of Déjà vu nowadays whenever I go near the bog now...what could it be ? I have no idea, I do have some wishful thinking to what it could be, but I cannot prove it.

I welcome anybodys thoughts or ideas they may have that could possibly help me resolve this.

Mike

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
During all of my years detecting, I've only had one experience where I felt extremely uncomfortable at a location. I've been to isolated areas before which were beautiful, scenic and very relaxing to be swinging a detector. I'm not the superstitious type or scares easily but 3 years ago I decided to check out a site that was very isolated and it was a 1 hr hike into the wilderness. The detecting wasn't the best but that was probably because I was always looking over my shoulder which I don't normally do . It was eerily quiet, claustrophobic which I'm not by the way, and the sensation of not just being watched, but as if there was something drastically wrong there. It was like something out of the Blair Witch Project! After a period of time, the sensation made me feel so uncomfortable I just had to leave. If something were to happen, it would be a long time before I would be found and the signal was lost to my cell phone. I detected on the way back to my car and managed to find a silver dime, but would never go back there alone again. Later I read in a book there was a tragedy that occurred that lead to the abandoning of the area. Wondered why I felt the way I did? Maybe we do have a sixth sense. Who knows?

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
My family has some property *up north* and on the property there is a swamp if you will, actually we call it the bottomless pit as once it ate a quad and it sunk into the muck and was never recovered, even 30 foot poles could not touch it.
Anyway as I just happen to love spending time in the woods, one day while investigating some markings on a few of the large rocks that are in the area near the bog, I sat down to have some lunch.
I always keep a small portable radio with me, cannot pick up much of anything out there except for one am station.
So moving through the dial to get my station, I heard a strange signal of sorts, it was not even close on the frequency to any known broadcasters in the region, it like your story intrigued me so I sat there listening to it.
To best describe it, it was similar to Morse code, only much faster than any human could type out, fast to the point of almost a constant hum, but not quite, more fascinating to me is the fact that it changes in pitch without me moving.

Well to me now here is what gets interesting, this broadcast apparently originates AT the bog, as you can walk all around the bog and hear the signal, however as soon as you move 40 feet from the edge of the bog in any direction, the signal is lost.
Being a scientist at heart, I immediately started a process of eliminating any other origins.
I spent the next several weeks walking miles all over the area at least in places I could not get a quad into..I know all land owners in the area so that was not an issue.
Walking gave way to then driving pretty much all over my great state trying to establish that signal anywhere other than the bog, thus far I have failed in trying to find such a place.
I have even contacted friends/family in neighboring states to see if they could pick it up in their areas..no luck.
That was five years ago, to this day that same signal can be heard at the bog and seemingly nowhere else.
I get a overwhelming sense of Déjà vu nowadays whenever I go near the bog now...what could it be ? I have no idea, I do have some wishful thinking to what it could be, but I cannot prove it.

I welcome anybodys thoughts or ideas they may have that could possibly help me resolve this.

Mike

Your story reminded me of the story of the Coon Hunter that fell into the river and lost his' oil lantern. He came back a year later and the latern was till burning.
Could the AM Radio frequency be picking up interference from the spark plug in the Quad's engine as it is still running this many years since??!! LOL!!

Frank

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that last line caused me to bust out laughing so hard that I spit coffee all over myself and one of my cats.

No kidding. The information I got back from the Ranger/Park advised me to carry a cow bell with me so, and I quote, "the bears will know where you're at to reduce the chance of surprising them." Now I understand what they're saying, however, do I really want to go about grizzly country ringing a dinner bell? :laughing7: After all those bear attack horror stories I read I was thinking, "screw the bell and sidearm, give me a damn flame thrower and a bazooka!" :laughing7: "Pepper Spray".....always inspiring to pick one of those up along the trail that's been mauled and torn to shreds. Last famous words, "Don't spray until you see the white's of their eyes." :laughing7:

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuggetdog welcome nice to have you on board! It's probably good you went with your first instinct, which is rarely wrong. Go armed if you go back and not alone with a few friends also armed, there could be other people there.

BC1969- Could it be all the metal things that have sunk into the pit are acting like an antenna drawing in signals from the air or satellites. I used to get what sounds like satellite noise on an old radio. The air is so full of signals now.

Huntsman53- The last line on that sign is hilarious, but probably true! It would have me thinking twice!

Newfiehunter I do believe there is something that we pick up on somehow that gives us an edge when we are in situations, maybe it's some past sense we used to use more or maybe we pick up things subconsciously that we ignore in our everyday lives. Like you just know something for certain but have no way of justifying why or how you know it, and your right.

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfiehunter I do believe there is something that we pick up on somehow that gives us an edge when we are in situations, maybe it's some past sense we used to use more or maybe we pick up things subconsciously that we ignore in our everyday lives. Like you just know something for certain but have no way of justifying why or how you know it, and your right.[/QUOTE]

MsBeepBeep, you are so right and perhaps it is what they call intuition! Often we ignore it, but sometimes it is best that we listen to our "gut instincts". It serves us well....

chazman

Jan 21, 2014
the sticks
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike

if the bog is surrounded by hills and trees, yet the bog is fairly open with some open water, you may be picking up on "multi path". you get the same with gps when standing near ice or open water or other reflective surfaces. you get multiple mixed signals that confuse your readings. the same can happen with radios. I imagine it's the effects of such interference that you're picking up with your radio. :)

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt in the ocean in the shark bite capital of the world, never seem to give it a second thought until someone plants the possibility in my head... Point is, once something has been planted into your head it's hard to shake, especially once you start to entertain all the possibilities.

NOW you've done it! LOL

I wander around in the jungles here in Central America all the time and never give it a second thought that there are a lot of big cats out there. I've never seen one in the wild, but I have no doubt a few have seen me. The LAST thing I want to do is surprise a mama Jaguar! :censored: !!!

OP
OP
nuggetdog

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site is great. I really liked reading all the posts. I forgot to mention that we did do a little panning while we were up their and I found a well used hidden foot trail, not on the map, my first thought was their might be a well guarded pot farm at the end of that trail and maybe that's where the feeling of being watched was coming from. We haven't been back up there since.

Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread