What's new

Hairline cracks excalibur 2

WWZESQ

Greenie
Joined
Feb 27, 2012
Messages
18
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Barracuda, Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an excalibur 2 1000 last week. I love the machine so far but noticed what appear to be fine hairline cracks radiating out from the mounting holes of both the main unit and the battery pod. It this normal or is it something I should be concerned about. If it is not an issue, I certainly don't want to have to send it back and miss out on a week of hunting. Thanks for your help. -Z
 
Upvote 0
Probably a production problem. More Holes you Drill the more pay for the Production people. Maybe have to slow down the drill
 
The marks are more than likely in the mold that the parts are cast into. That area of the mold must have "slides" that pull out so the pins that make the holes can be retracted and the part removed. If it did not have slides the part could not be removed from the mold as designed. Another possibility if the "lines" are not the same on is that the liquid plastic might be making a knit line, the area where the liquid plastic comes around a pin and the leading edges of the flow meet and mend together. Nothing that I would worry about unless they creep (grow bigger) outward from the hole. The only problem I have had with plastic parts was the original WOT coil's waterproof tube, which had no UV stabilizers added to the plastic and the sun's rays caused cracks and the tube broke like a mirror would. And that was back in the 1990's. Trust Minelab and IF it is a problem down the road, keep copies of the emails and I am sure they will take care of anything that might break.

They look like the same cracks I had on my machine. Minelab replaced the pod and water tested because it was under warranty. Those cracks will grow over time; but at least Minelab will make it good.
 
I noticed the same crack lines on my battery pod and my Excal is several years old and no
problems whatsoever!
Best of luck!
 
2 newer excals, 2 newer battery pods, no cracks..just fyi
 
Those can occur if people tighten the pods to tight, normally from people using METAL bolts. It also happens when people try making their own straight shaft and use the holes as their guide. Just watch them... you may have to epoxy a nylon to the outside. I dont know why people think they have to crank those bolts down... not like the pods are going anywhere. I wouldnt agree thats normal, but it shouldnt be a problem since it the ears not the pods.

Dew
 
If I spent that much money on a brand new machine I would damn sure not want any cracks. How do you know it wasn't dropped and there aren't other defects from that mishandling waiting to show up later? Solder joints can crack from an impact and later fail. I'd demand they either replace it with a new machine or give me my money back.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom