deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kid and I hit a permission we've hit before. The same site I got all the buckles a few hunts ago.
The boy starts the day off finding a deep barber dime. An 1800's something too, the ones I find are always in the 1900's?
I didn't go too long before I got a sweet little coin spill with a little silver in the mix, 6 wheats and a 51 Rosie. The hit rang up 80 on the AT Pro so the wheats were doing a good job hiding the Rosie.
I found a few more wheats then flipped a plug to a 1937 merc. Not much more other then some tag and a couple more wheats and trash.
The kid had plans so I took him home then made a return trip for some more swinging.
On my return trip a started off finding a few more wheats and a couple buckles. Then I got a 75-76 hit and thinking Indian, I flip a plug and have a 1809 Half Cent staring up at me. Sweet!!
The toasted Indian, 1901, 1912 wheat and what looks like a fired round ball with a chunk of lead cut out. We're found on a short hunt a couple days ago.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Upvote 16

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Classic Head half cent! I learned something yesterday that I didn't know - it's said the blank planchets for these coins were often made far from the mint so they had to be transported to the mint by ship. They were stored in the bottom of the ship's hull as part of the ballast before being unloaded at the mint. As a result of this many blanks were damaged by salt water that leaked into the ship's hull. The mint rarely removed the damaged planchets so they frequently minted coins that were already pitted and quite damaged even when they were new. This has contributed to the lack of well preserved pennies and half pennies from the early 1800's. Coupled with the fact that they were made of pure unalloyed copper made them even softer and even less likely to survive into the modern era. :thumbsup: Very cool!

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some cool info. Underminer, I've only found a few others and they were toast. One was a 1794 Capped Half and if we didn't take a pic fresh out of the hole we'd have never gotten anything off it.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some cool info. Underminer, I've only found a few others and they were toast. One was a 1794 Capped Half and if we didn't take a pic fresh out of the hole we'd have never gotten anything off it.

I hear ya, I got a Classic Head LC a few days ago, my oldest American coin to date, but the date is completely worn away, but since they were only made until 1814 it has to be at least 202 years old, so cool. Only a slight outline of the head remains, but surprisingly the tails side is still 75% legible.

Must have been amazing to find one from 1794! That's very cool! Too bad these coins deteriorate rather quickly in the ground. Apparently it wasn't until 1816 that they started adding hardening agents to the copper to make it stronger - thus US cents from this date and later are more common to find in better condition.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice job on the Half Cent. Underminers info may be the reason mine was in such bad shape. On the front you can only see the outline of the face and hair. No date. The reverse was in better shape & it turned out to be the stemless wreath variety making it an 1804. Of course mine was also found in a field which did not help the coins condition either.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice finds... especially that half cent. WOW... over 200 years old. Envious...

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great day out in my book. Been detecting for 35 years and didn't find a half cent until this year. Now I've found 2, a 1795 Liberty Cap early in the year and last week an 1805 Draped Bust. They don't come out of the ground very often. Great find!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great day of hunting!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the 1/2 cent. You don't see them very often. You also brought home some silver.
Really good day.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great half cent DS. To find one in that condition is a rarity.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the finds! The half cent eludes my coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions