Half Cent Date

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this half cent a couple years ago metal detecting and it’s created some controversy concerning the date on it. What date do you see?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585317889.373488.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585317904.285764.jpg

JHinPA

Jan 25, 2008
SouthEastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DI6000/Pro & Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullstock - I see a 1804 obverse with a Plain 4, and the reverse is "with stems". I can't tell if the "4" has crosslets or plain. It's too worn to tell. I've found worse and I've found better. That's my 2 cents worth on this half cent.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, that’s pretty cool, how did you do that DCMatt?

First eat two cloves of garlic. Next do a shot of cheap tequila (no lime). Now breathe across the coin and take a picture through your breath. BTW - This doesn't work if you're wearing an N-95 mask.

Actually, it is negative image, then gamma correction adjusting the red/green/blue spectrum until you get a little more detail and contrast. In this case, I did a negative of the negative after gamma correction. It was a deep purple hue before. The lighter green has more contrast. All done in an old version of Paint Shop Pro.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First eat two cloves of garlic. Next do a shot of cheap tequila (no lime). Now breathe across the coin and take a picture through your breath. BTW - This doesn't work if you're wearing an N-95 mask.

Actually, it is negative image, then gamma correction adjusting the red/green/blue spectrum until you get a little more detail and contrast. In this case, I did a negative of the negative after gamma correction. It was a deep purple hue before. The lighter green has more contrast. All done in an old version of Paint Shop Pro.

Thanks for the information and a good laugh! [emoji16]

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread