What's new

Half dollars in currency becoming nostalgic?

Electronova

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2010
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
Spent some halves at BK yesterday and the lady said that she "misses" half dollars. I also often spend presidential dollar coins as petty cash around town and many people claim they have never seen or even heard of the coins. I don't know about everybody else but I enjoy spending ikes, halves, and small dollar coins. The government is trying really hard to put the new presidential dollar series into circulation, but so far it seems like it is an epic fail as everybody just hoards them, and businesses don't use them. What is it going to take to get these beauties into circulation and the $1 bill out?
 
Upvote 0
As long as there's the one dollar bill, dollar coins will fail to circulate much. I think that the US should follow other counties, and get rid of the dollar bill and use a dollar coin instead.
 
I've read that the Morgan dollar wasn't real popular in it's day. I don't recall I'kes being popular either. Halves are not my favorite. Coins will never replace paper bills.....I can't imagine carrying 80 Ikes around in my pockets, let alone 80 halves. ffd
 
I think we are very near a cashless system myself. Do know too Obama is pushing what Bush did only calling it diff name- you know real ID only now iti s gonna be thru "comprehensive" immigration reform all citizens will have to have National ID to work or have a Bank Account and such- recieve welfare or even to get into a Gov bldg. Read the law Bush attempted to pass it included language for Bio-metric ID's which would work well for cashless commerce; you know scan your hand and money comes right out of your account.

We are on the verge of collapse economically, I see where Social Security is NOW operating inthe red too, and Fed Gov is gonna seize Pension Funds now that foreign Gov's are no longer buying our debt- to keep the charade going a little longer while they consolidate their control of US, cause when the bottom falls out all that will be left is an authoritarian Gov like FDR's only on steroids today will be much worse- oppressive. And it is coming soon, maybe sooner than most think too.
 
I work full time at cvs and see the money in/out close to 10k a day, and see them maybe once a week these days and just like 1-3, when the presidents did first come out i would see like 5-10 every other day. have seen halves once in 3 years and they were mostly silver from a kid i believe.
 
the presidential dollars are in circulation to a degree. ever buy stamps from the machines in the post offices? they give your change in SBA's and presidential dollars.
 
Dollar bills are the most circulated denomination of the paper money, and subsequently does not last long. The mint could save tens of millions of dollars if they would get rid of the dollar bill and that would force people to use the dollar coins, and eventually they would be accepted. Mind you I am talking about the one dollar bill only, and since most people do not carry a lot of one dollar bills, the weight in the pocket would not be substantial. The biggest thing stopping it is the lobbyists for the people who make the paper stock.
 
obediah said:
I think we are very near a cashless system myself. Do know too Obama is pushing what Bush did only calling it diff name- you know real ID only now iti s gonna be thru "comprehensive" immigration reform all citizens will have to have National ID to work or have a Bank Account and such- recieve welfare or even to get into a Gov bldg. Read the law Bush attempted to pass it included language for Bio-metric ID's which would work well for cashless commerce; you know scan your hand and money comes right out of your account.

We are on the verge of collapse economically, I see where Social Security is NOW operating inthe red too, and Fed Gov is gonna seize Pension Funds now that foreign Gov's are no longer buying our debt- to keep the charade going a little longer while they consolidate their control of US, cause when the bottom falls out all that will be left is an authoritarian Gov like FDR's only on steroids today will be much worse- oppressive. And it is coming soon, maybe sooner than most think too.



I cashed out my 401k when they started talking about confiscating them and giving us GRA's.

You are right on the money.

The modern day equivalent of the 1933 gold confiscation will be the confiscation of all retirement accounts, replacing them with "Guaranteed Retirement Accounts" which will be 100% invested in US debt instruments.
 
placerman said:
obediah said:
I think we are very near a cashless system myself. Do know too Obama is pushing what Bush did only calling it diff name- you know real ID only now iti s gonna be thru "comprehensive" immigration reform all citizens will have to have National ID to work or have a Bank Account and such- recieve welfare or even to get into a Gov bldg. Read the law Bush attempted to pass it included language for Bio-metric ID's which would work well for cashless commerce; you know scan your hand and money comes right out of your account.

We are on the verge of collapse economically, I see where Social Security is NOW operating inthe red too, and Fed Gov is gonna seize Pension Funds now that foreign Gov's are no longer buying our debt- to keep the charade going a little longer while they consolidate their control of US, cause when the bottom falls out all that will be left is an authoritarian Gov like FDR's only on steroids today will be much worse- oppressive. And it is coming soon, maybe sooner than most think too.



I cashed out my 401k when they started talking about confiscating them and giving us GRA's.

You are right on the money.

The modern day equivalent of the 1933 gold confiscation will be the confiscation of all retirement accounts, replacing them with "Guaranteed Retirement Accounts" which will be 100% invested in US debt instruments.

I have thought about the same thing as far as my 401k placerman. How bad are the penalties and tax implications on doing this?
 
All can add is each of us MUST get up to par, to where we can understand what is happening to US; I'm sorry to say it pleases do not be offended but most of US are totally ignorant, we do not even have the basic mental skills to think & think independently which is essential to be able to defend ones self from tyranny, and I tell you it is not ast the door it is here now and will only get worse.

Read listen, learn to discern truth from error, deception from facts; read The New American- test out the info from both sides, listen to Alex Jones, I'm amazed he is still on the internet he is so hard hitting pointing out what is going on. Friends we are at war and few of US seem to realize it, our gov is run by madd men who have evil in their crosshairs!
 
How bad are the penalties and tax implications on doing this?



Pretty bad.

I think it is 30% off the top in fines and then you pay taxes on whats left.

That's OK though. Since withdrawing my money I have been able to earn all that was lost in taxes and fees and then some.

I would have lost an additional 15% in value if I had stayed in the 401k, so all in all, I basically had to take a 2 year hit on my net worth. Since then, I have earned around 20% on my investments, and that's taking into account that I lost 30% in fines, 15% in taxes, and would have lost @15% on the value of my 401k.

I still have the 401k account (actually its a 403b, but it works exactly the same) and it is run by AIG. They send me a statement every month or so wanting me to put more money into my account.

I guess so the feds can have more to confiscate?
 
It would be a struggle to get the half dollar back into circulation. Most of the current vending machines(including 99% of coin-operated laundries) do not accept halves. Asking these guys to jump back 30 years for their machines to take a few halves would be tough. Next time you look inside a newer cash register, count the slots for coins. They don't leave a spot for halves anymore. As many times as dumba$$ clerks mistake halves for dollars,etc., I would hate to have to retrain half the clerks to recognize a new/old denomination.
My suggestion is for all of us to continue to baffle the youth and spend our Ikes and Halves. Drives them nuts. Jim
 
coolpix9 said:
It would be a struggle to get the half dollar back into circulation. Most of the current vending machines(including 99% of coin-operated laundries) do not accept halves. Asking these guys to jump back 30 years for their machines to take a few halves would be tough. Next time you look inside a newer cash register, count the slots for coins. They don't leave a spot for halves anymore. As many times as dumba$$ clerks mistake halves for dollars,etc., I would hate to have to retrain half the clerks to recognize a new/old denomination.
My suggestion is for all of us to continue to baffle the youth and spend our Ikes and Halves. Drives them nuts. Jim

Those Million Dollar cashier-less monstrosities they use at my local Kroger won't take halves either so I can't use them either.
Yeah most especially the young tellers look at them like what are these, most give me too much change back too, of course I give it back and tell them 2 halves make 1 Dollar.
 
obediah said:
I think we are very near a cashless system myself. Do know too Obama is pushing what Bush did only calling it diff name- you know real ID only now iti s gonna be thru "comprehensive" immigration reform all citizens will have to have National ID to work or have a Bank Account and such- recieve welfare or even to get into a Gov bldg. Read the law Bush attempted to pass it included language for Bio-metric ID's which would work well for cashless commerce; you know scan your hand and money comes right out of your account.

We are on the verge of collapse economically, I see where Social Security is NOW operating inthe red too, and Fed Gov is gonna seize Pension Funds now that foreign Gov's are no longer buying our debt- to keep the charade going a little longer while they consolidate their control of US, cause when the bottom falls out all that will be left is an authoritarian Gov like FDR's only on steroids today will be much worse- oppressive. And it is coming soon, maybe sooner than most think too.

Woe is me Obee ! Biometric chips sounds like the "Mark of the Beast" That stuff gives me the creeps !
:help: :laughing9: :laughing9:
Rich
 
Rich Hartford said:
obediah said:
I think we are very near a cashless system myself. Do know too Obama is pushing what Bush did only calling it diff name- you know real ID only now iti s gonna be thru "comprehensive" immigration reform all citizens will have to have National ID to work or have a Bank Account and such- recieve welfare or even to get into a Gov bldg. Read the law Bush attempted to pass it included language for Bio-metric ID's which would work well for cashless commerce; you know scan your hand and money comes right out of your account.

We are on the verge of collapse economically, I see where Social Security is NOW operating inthe red too, and Fed Gov is gonna seize Pension Funds now that foreign Gov's are no longer buying our debt- to keep the charade going a little longer while they consolidate their control of US, cause when the bottom falls out all that will be left is an authoritarian Gov like FDR's only on steroids today will be much worse- oppressive. And it is coming soon, maybe sooner than most think too.

Woe is me Obee ! Biometric chips sounds like the "Mark of the Beast" That stuff gives me the creeps !
:help: :laughing9: :laughing9:
Rich
Yeup leading to it am sure, and that stuff is in Obama's Immigration Reform reform, we all will have to have our papers in order to work or have Bank account- of course some of us only reason we have one is to CRH.

Alex is a spectacular teacher ain't he- am growing to really like his style.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom