What's new

Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop

Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop
And Helps Stimulate the Local Economy

January 15, 2011
Los Angeles, California

Several times last summer I read posts on this site about CRH members who found 1925 Stone Mountain Commemorative halves. This was the first I had ever heard of this commemorative half. But I quickly developed a great interest in this beautiful and historical coin. I have now found one, too! But I cheated.

I stopped at a coin shop to buy some Lucite (plastic) air-tight capsules that hold halves and happened to ask about Stone Mountain Commemoratives. I ended up buying a Stone Mountain Commemorative half and also a 1926 Oregon Trail Commemorative half. When I looked at the Stone Mountain coins in a coin folder, there were Oregon Trail coins next to them. The Oregon Trail Commemorative coins are even more beautiful! And I had trouble deciding which coin I should buy. So I bought one of each.

There were cheaper coins in lower grades available, but I’m glad I paid a bit more and now have, I feel, really nice coins. I had never been to this stamp-coin shop before, but I did certainly enjoy myself. I felt like the proverbial kid in a candy store. I plan to visit this shop again sometime. I know - someone spelled “Commemorative” incorrectly on the 2 by 2 (see the first photograph, below).

I CRH for only halves and dimes, but my favorite coins are the 1936-1939 two Mark and five Mark NAZI silver coins. So I also bought a 1936 five Mark NAZI coin today.

Half-Hound found a 1943 S Mercury dime and a 1967 Kennedy half this week. I hunted hard, but this was all I could find.

(2011 Totals: 28 Silver Halves and 3 Silver Dimes)
 

Attachments

  • LITE Purchased Coins Obverse 15 JAN 2011.webp
    LITE Purchased Coins Obverse 15 JAN 2011.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 536
  • LITE Purchased Coins Reverse 15 JAN 2011.webp
    LITE Purchased Coins Reverse 15 JAN 2011.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 513
Upvote 0
Re: Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop

Nice Oregon comm. Thats one I would love to find roll searching....
 
Re: Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop

Half-Hound,
Those are some beautiful commemorative Halves you purchased. Now you are hooked on them. Next up should be the Pilgram and Abe Lincoln ones.
Stay well
rileyboy
 
Re: Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop

Nice coins :icon_thumright: I'd like to get a Stone Mountain and Texas Centennial half myself, even though the obverse on the Texas half is rather plain, the reverse is wonderfully ornate.
 
Re: Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop

Those are two sweet coins. I've got the Stone Mountain on my list as well, but I agree the Oregon Trail looks very nice as well if not better.
 
Re: Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop

I been looking in the wild for one of the Stone Mountain Commemoratives but as of yet have not uncovered one. It's a neat looking coin. I lived within three miles of that mountain for over 20 years. HH

Fl Junkman
 
Re: Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop

Nice commems, that Oregon one is pretty handsome! I'm always surprised by the condition of these silver German reichsmarks, I've got 2 nice ones and most seem to have hardly circulated from what I've seen. I kinda want to aqcuire some silver francs now too, maybe as far back as Napoleon III, or even his uncle :o !
 
Re: Half-Hound Visits Stamp & Coin Shop

I love the introduction and thank you doing your part for our economy. :laughing9:

I am glad someone else here on this forum collects Nazi/WWII items. I also collect . . . Nazi era children's textbooks as a way to understand how a society influences kids as a means of indoctrination to a specific agenda.

HSH,
apush :read2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom