Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20130715_134942.jpg

Upvote 14
awesome finds!
HH

Really nice. Is that a 1813 I see? Sadly I see writing on the back of the flat button meaning it can't be older than mid 19th century. Still nice find!

why would writing mean it is only of that age? - just curious!

Really nice. Is that a 1813 I see? Sadly I see writing on the back of the flat button meaning it can't be older than mid 19th century. Still nice find!

I was told by CannonBallGuy, that a 1 piece flat button with raised lettering on the back could be as early as 1790....

Very nice classic head large cent. It appears the button "might" have been made from a coin. What does the other side look like?

That button could easily be early nineteenth century. Congrats!

Great great finds make sure you show us what they look like after you clean them up a bit thanks

IMGP0479.JPG

I found this button and from the writing was able to determine its approx. date from the manufacturer ;

NUTTING
Date(s) Name Address Related Information
1800-1840 I Nutting Covent Garden Button types include livery and Other Ranks pewter buttons

Thanks for all the comments!! Hard to tell its true condition. Dying to clean it up lightly with a tbrush. I was always told never to clean a coin though. Any thoughts?

Tooth pick or use the search menu on cleaning buttons. I have tried aluma jelly.

20130716_043153.jpg

20130716_043124.jpg

20130716_043014.jpg

Here are some better pics after some very light cleaning. Really not comfortable doing any more. The button actually says "strong imperial gilt"

That flat button dates to around the same time as your coin. Possibly a couple decades earlier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back