63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of metal detecting is research both in books as well as on the ground. Go take a look at this "pasture", what is laying on top of the ground? What spot has an exceptional growth area, what spot is raised, what spot is lowered/sunken, what spot is barren, what spot has bits of pottery/porcelain laying about?? Read up on history for the exact area you are wondering about. Then wave your detector over the most likely locations................63bkpkr

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ploughed fields are no different than pasture land, it's all about the history of what took place. In ploughed fields the digging can be easy, and many targets very shallow, but pasture land is usually flat and the targets have a great halo. Most of my sites are farm fields but I'd gladly take a pasture anytime... just need a site to be there! A couple years back my friend and I got permission for some pasture land on the water that I had researched and thought there would be an old site. Things were looking really good when we got permission and the farmer said the people who owned the land first were the first to settle the area back in the 1700s. So we got out swinging, covered quite a bit of ground and just the odd piece of metal but not enough to keep us there. All that was left was a smaller field on a creek where the cows were, but we came this far we might as well try it. I'd say within a minute we knew we were on the spot and dug old targets the rest of the day finding about 16 early military buttons between us and 2 cannon balls. That was a record for military finds in one hunt and will probably remain our record for good. It just goes to show you how quick things can change and it's just a matter of getting over the spot that had a house.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it depends on the age of items that you are looking for, coins and artifacts from the roman and medieval period are bound to be deeper, I personely have no confidence on pasture :sadsmiley:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread