What's new

Hammered Silver coin, ID needed

Bartek

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2014
Messages
298
Reaction score
1,035
Golden Thread
1
Location
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visiting Europe with my Deus, this thin silver thing was encrusted in some mud, and hiding between few rocks on a lake beach. The waters this year are really low (some places lowest in 100+ years). Great opportunity to check those shore beaches that stood in water for so long.

I don't want to mess with it any further until I know what it is.

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441991218.149891.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441991251.833360.webp
 
Upvote 12
No idea, but a great find for sure and a beautiful coin!! I have found Roman in England, but no hammered yet:BangHead: What country was it found in?
 
Silver Hammereds are not my thing, get Crusader on this one! I'll take a whack at it though. It appears this maybe Irish coinage of the reign of Edward IV. It appears the first coinage under his reign in the late 1450s and early 1460s (half farthings, etc.) were all copper. But around 1463-1464 these small silver coins started coming. So I'm gonna guess that it's a 1463/1464 Edward IV Titled Groat (there was an unknown unmarked Groat attributed to him in 1461 but your coin I believe is the replacement to that coin) struck in Waterford.
 
Check Poland Half Groschen.
 
That's why I stay away from hammereds. IP has it.

At least there was "some" similarity in the Edward IV silver groat and the half groschen. Especially in the crown, but as the Edward groat does not appear to have anything on the band of the crown, the groschen does.

M00085X4.JPG


8Ky2b9R2E46zpB7k5qHPQDc9X3aaoM.jpg
 
Last edited:
Silver Hammereds are not my thing, get Crusader on this one! I'll take a whack at it though. It appears this maybe Irish coinage of the reign of Edward IV. It appears the first coinage under his reign in the late 1450s and early 1460s (half farthings, etc.) were all copper. But around 1463-1464 these small silver coins started coming. So I'm gonna guess that it's a 1463/1464 Edward IV Titled Groat (there was an unknown unmarked Groat attributed to him in 1461 but your coin I believe is the replacement to that coin) struck in Waterford.

Not my country or my interest as its not a British hammered.
 
That's why I stay away from hammereds. IP has it.

At least there was "some" similarity in the Edward IV silver groat and the half groschen. Especially in the crown, but as the Edward groat does not appear to have anything on the band of the crown, the groschen does.



8Ky2b9R2E46zpB7k5qHPQDc9X3aaoM.jpg

Thanks, it's more like the Grochen, will look that direction :)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441996082.558382.webp
 
Yep, I should have paid closer attention to the bird on the back in your original post, the fact is isnt a cross of any kind would have led me away from the UK altogether when trying to nail this one down.
 
Yep, I should have paid closer attention to the bird on the back in your original post, the fact is isnt a cross of any kind would have led me away from the UK altogether when trying to nail this one down.

If so, this puts me in the early 1500's [emoji15][emoji482]
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom