Hard to find Honey Pot

goldndime

Apr 14, 2008
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
A. H. Pro backpacker, 17000 Minelab
I'm a newbie to this site but just had to brag a little. Having been in this hobby for about 40 years I should tell you a little about myself. I have been a professional gold dredger for the last 14 years in northern California which had its lean and fat times. Not liking the weather down there I bought a place in Oregon last year. Which gave me a new lawn to hunt. Dragging the old A. H. Pro out of retirement I scanned the yard. Nothing. After some silly thoughts about using my 17000 minelab for a coin shooter I ran the yard again. Finding a kids twisted metal ring the hole still called to me. The next item in there was a little brass lock key, the hole still called to me and at 10" out popped a wheat.1956. I went to town and picked up batteries for the minelab and on the way home stopped a the old grange hall and hit the ball field. Right off the bat I found a penny at 8" and just knew it was a wheat nope 1996. What it was doing that deep I couldn't figure. After tonnes of nuts and bolts and scrap steel I hit a target that sounded good. Using my probe I probed in a 3" circle 7" deep. Nothing. After digging down about 10" I had still not found a thing. Giving up I moved under a couple of large trees thinking that during a game it would be a good place to be in the shade. Still more trash. All the while thinking about that hole that sounded so good but empty I went back to it. Digging about 4" deeper I hit something, a rock. Still sounding good I widened my hole thinking it was an off center hit. Still nothing. After a couple of hours of hard hunting and going back to that GOOD hole and digging deeper several times I tried once more. As soon as my arm was up to my shirtsleeve I hit something that sounded REAL good. I carfully started pulling dirt out of the hole and saw a flash. YOU KNOW THAT FLASH. The one that makes your heart pump overtime. There I sat looking at a nice seated half dated 1853. Man I was in seventh heaven. After not detecting for 16 years there was my first silver coin. I was elated. As I started to cover the hole I decided to check it one more time. BAM so I started digging deeper, nothing. I opened the bottom of the hole up by about 5 inches in diameter then dug out the dirt There it was again flash flash. Two more silvers. This time it was a pair of Barbies 1899 and 1915. At this point I have to let my heart start again.You've got to remember I'm and old man and its important that that thing keeps working. Checking the hole once more and not hearing anything I covered it up and left that area. An hour later I get this great signal and down at about 9" is another silver coin, or is it.
After brushing off the dirt it was another half but when I looked a little harder It was a foreign coin. It says Hong Kong half dollar 1868. I have not had a day like that in many years and am going to be using the minelab where others think all have been removed because it will go very deep on coins. As I get time I will post pics of my finds that day on the 12th of April 2008.

Thanks for listening and

Happy hunting !!!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions