What's new

Harmonica Reeds

Palmetto

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
324
Reaction score
548
Golden Thread
2
Location
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know harmonica's were not that expensive even back when, but do you not find it surpising the sheer number of harmonica reeds that are dug at old sites? Were they throwing that many out? or losing them? It would seem you would find almost the same number of the exterior 'shells" since they were most of the times metal as well. Just a thought.

Palmetto
 
Yes, I've wondered the same thing :icon_scratch: Seems we md'rs find an aweful lot of harmonica reeds at old sites. In the same manner, have you ever noticed how we find a lot of pocket watch parts too? As if people back then took great joy in disassembling their harmonicas and pocket watches and scattering them about :tongue3:
 
I suspect the reason you don't find the shell is because an attempt was tried at self-repair, then, flipped over the shoulder when it did not work.... hence, no shell. TTC
 
Tom_in_CA said:
Yes, I've wondered the same thing :icon_scratch: Seems we md'rs find an aweful lot of harmonica reeds at old sites. In the same manner, have you ever noticed how we find a lot of pocket watch parts too? As if people back then took great joy in disassembling their harmonicas and pocket watches and scattering them about :tongue3:

Very true-thought the same thing after posting wondering what others might bring up. On pocket watches, it was probably too difficult or costly to have repaired.
Palmetto
 
I'd bet that the harmonica bodies were mostly wood. I remember wooden ones from when I was a kid, some 60 plus or minus years ago. Never see them now though.
 
The cover were also tin that rusts away..
 
How about accordian reeds? Find those alot as well-Both those and harmonica reeds sound great!

Palmetto
 
I used to wonder why people abandoned towns in beautiful mountain surroundings. Now I realize it was to get away from all those
bad harmonica players.
 
I wonder why I always seem to find fired bullets in close proximity to harmonica reeds? :dontknow: ;D
 
The way scrap metal prices are rising, I should have saved the ones I've found over the yrs.....I'd be rich. The same goes for zinc canning covers.
 
Kids love to examine things, take them apart, and destroy them. Thats why we find so many harmonica reeds, watch parts, transistor radio bits, and pieces of broken toys.
 
The majority of old sites I hunt have reeds or watch parts, and sometimes both.
 
I've been finding them at most every old house site I hunt also. In fact so many that its almost spooky. I was glad to read that others have noticed this. I thought alot about it and tried to imagine what people did in their free time back then. There was no tv or radio. I've found alot near the old mining sites here where I live also. I took it as possibly a very common form of entertainment back then. You really nailed it on this post. Good hunting.
 
The little wheels in pocket watches make nice little tops and thats why you find them scattered. Used to do the same thing with worn out Big Bens.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom