What's new

Harvester

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2018
Messages
9,199
Reaction score
33,156
Golden Thread
0
Location
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the late 90s there was an incredible amount of construction going on in St. Charles Co. MO. The heavy equipment brought up tons of flint. It was everywhere. I made two trips down there and did very well. I hunted near Harvester and St. Peter’s. This is a frame of points I chipped from the material I found. Some of these were heated. This material is a subtype of common Burlington flint.
IMG_0355.webp
 
Fascinating really! I was wondering what kind of tools were used for flaking and knapping so I watched a couple of videos. I could watch Noel Grayson all day. Amazing how sharp some flakes come off. Good work:hello2:
 
Beautiful skill!
Awesome.

Heated by placing under sand below a fire with decent coals atop and fire left to go out?
Or an oven and vermiculite or something?

I bust up flint just trying to get a piece for firestarting.
Definitely not any good at knapping.
Makes your work even more impressive!
 
Beautiful skill!
Awesome.

Heated by placing under sand below a fire with decent coals atop and fire left to go out?
Or an oven and vermiculite or something?

I bust up flint just trying to get a piece for firestarting.
Definitely not any good at knapping.
Makes your work even more impressive!
I started out heating in sand under a fire. It worked but was tricky to control. I eventually bought a used pottery kiln and reworked it to heat up to 750°. That worked well. I eventually sold it and haven’t cooked any rocks in quite some time.
 
I started out heating in sand under a fire. It worked but was tricky to control. I eventually bought a used pottery kiln and reworked it to heat up to 750°. That worked well. I eventually sold it and haven’t cooked any rocks in quite some time.

Rumor in a small circle of us living history shooters had it flint was found under a firepit.
Questions lead to questions and leaving it till that site was revisited makes some sense.
And maybe dryer sand /mineral soil than a fresh spot.

Then; studying old college archeology works from multiple states varied lithics from varied schools seemed to be getting mixed in the same layer of time at times.. (?)

To confirm how little I grasp ...
A wood post wall South of me about an hours drive with a ditch one side. Ditch containing debris.
A wall for fire to reflect off? A windbreak? Both?
In the debris were multiple style lithics. 3 or more schools. A turkey tail isn't really "native" to the great lakes woodland site.
Two rivers converged. No surprise a camp existed there.
I don't recall possible group involved in the original site. As in which natives.

The 60 or so miles N. to near me involves another river and the tailout of 30 miles of rapids on it. And mounds.
Thousands of years of occupation . At least seasonally.
Multiple mound groups tied close to riverine areas and of course a convergence of some as well.

In a mound (no burial of bodies noted throughout those mounds sampled ) was a hearth. (Charcoal stain or more of a deliberate fire spot).
In the hearth was a pice of bone. Suspected deer. And 4-5 points in the same context (together not layered through time) of multiple schools of manufacture.

To my feeble ideas the mix represented a mutual agreement or theory. Allies of some sort.
Shared fish traps? Shared trade routes or trading? (A group dominated such here a bit farther North for a long time though.)
They weren't flint being heat treated. At least by the finished condition reported and not scrap/discards or broken/worn out type descriptions.( If they were being heat treated then why the mix of cultural types/schools.)

So there I sit at the river nearest. Not knowing much more than others were here a long time. l.o.l..
 
Harvester , Mo. is close to me , I may have to take a quick trip out there to look for some EZ pickins ! Thanks for the tip Gary! NO RAIN TODAY FOR A CHANGE !!! :coffee2:
 
Harvester , Mo. is close to me , I may have to take a quick trip out there to look for some EZ pickins ! Thanks for the tip Gary! NO RAIN TODAY FOR A CHANGE !!! :coffee2:
I’d look for construction sites near Harvester, Chesterfield and St Peter’s. South of town look around High Ridge or Valley Park. The flint is there at all these places but it takes heavy equipment to bring it above ground. There are rarely anyone at construction sites on Sunday. Get a yellow vest and a hard hat and you’ll be invisible!🤣😎
 
I’d look for construction sites near Harvester, Chesterfield and St Peter’s. South of town look around High Ridge or Valley Park. The flint is there at all these places but it takes heavy equipment to bring it above ground. There are rarely anyone at construction sites on Sunday. Get a yellow vest and a hard hat and you’ll be invisible!🤣😎
LOL, I worked in Chesterfield and rented room in St Peter's during week and had home in Columbia. On Fridays on trip home I would sometimes stop and hunt the creeks off of I-70
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom