Has anyone detected, successfully, old abandoned roads??

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have researched the location of an old road that is in the woods, which hooked up to a bridge that dates to 1793. The bridge was wiped out and a new highway put right over the spot where it stood. I recently went back in the woods and found the road. It is shown on a 1904 map. It is about 60 feet wide, dirt and has trees growing in it. It is about 100 yds long, what remains anyway, and runs along a large creek. It seems to me that this road, probably dating from the mid 1800's (the 1793 bridge road originally took a different route) would have been fairly heavily used at one time and would have been close to the creek for watering horses and such. Has anyone hunted an old road before, tucked in the woods and overgrown with trees, with any luck?? I am going to hit it soon. Thanks, Bryan

sounds like a great spot to me. My grandfather has found a 18xx half dime along an old mountain road in PA that used to be the major connector between two towns. It is minimally maintained but no longer used for any purposes.

He took me there this past summer and I found an old buckle and a bullet. Hope to get back there again soon and give it a full days attention.

There is also an old road on some 1903 maps that crosses a property I will be hunting this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck to you, can't wait to see what you pull out of there.

Here in Missouri old road beds have been very productive. Especially if there is water nearby...Steve

Old roads can be great spots, especially if you do a little research! I have found 18th century flat buttons, and many old coins along dirt roads. Most of the finds are along the banks and sides of the road. Travelers would rest on these banks, and things dropped in middle of the roadway would get pushed toward the edges by passing carts and stage coaches. Also be on the lookout for signs of travelers of days gone by. Clam shells are a good indicator, as well as old bottles and pottery.

Don't forget to be on the lookout for bricks and sandstone which may indicate an old cellar hole nearby.

Here is a link to historical topgraphical maps, many of which show locations of structures. I overlay these maps in Google Earth to find new hunting spots with much success! http://historical.maptech.com/index.cfm?CFID=5067896&CFTOKEN=48440713

Thanks for the great replies. As I said, the road is dirt and approx 60" wide. Each side of the road has about a 2' embankment, almost as though the road was cut through. I like the advice about checking the sides of the road. I will put my initial detecting focus on the sides of the road. I will report what I find. I will start detecting within the week I hope. Bryan

I have done very well on old roads, in fact I seek them out. I was just doing research on some in my area .

pfp

I find it too hard to dig through the tarmac & concrete :)

pfired from pfizer said:
I have done very well on old roads, in fact I seek them out. I was just doing research on some in my area .

pfp

love handle pfired. sux that you were pfired and I'm sorry for that...but it sure is a funny handle. Who are you working for now? BMS, Wyeth, Johnson&Johnson?

On old roads: They are supposed to be great spots. I've been up to an old mill and homestead many, many times and have been the most productive ON THE ROAD around the mill.

I would think that just simply being an old road, would not be enough. Seems you'd need to know where people stopped . Ie.: camp/stop spots, road-side business, water stops, etc.... JHMO.

Neil in West Jersey said:
Old roads can be great spots, especially if you do a little research! I have found 18th century flat buttons, and many old coins along dirt roads. Most of the finds are along the banks and sides of the road. Travelers would rest on these banks, and things dropped in middle of the roadway would get pushed toward the edges by passing carts and stage coaches. Also be on the lookout for signs of travelers of days gone by. Clam shells are a good indicator, as well as old bottles and pottery.

Don't forget to be on the lookout for bricks and sandstone which may indicate an old cellar hole nearby.

Here is a link to historical topgraphical maps, many of which show locations of structures. I overlay these maps in Google Earth to find new hunting spots with much success! http://historical.maptech.com/index.cfm?CFID=5067896&CFTOKEN=48440713

Thanks for the great tips. The sides of the road are cut at 90 degrees and are about 2 feet high. I will focus initially on the sides of the road thanks to your tip, Bryan

look for places where people may have rested as well. I found the buckle and bullet mentioned above about 5 feet off the road where there was a big flat rock.

My only large cent was found in the middle of an old road. I will be going back in the spring to hunt the rest of the road.

Good luck, VPR

Madmardigan said:
look for places where people may have rested as well. I found the buckle and bullet mentioned above about 5 feet off the road where there was a big flat rock.

Awesome tip, I never would have thought of that, thanks alot. Bryan

As many have already stated, YES, old roads are great spots, my son and I have many many miles of walking old stage roads and other old roads of South Jersey since the 1980's and have done quite well.
One thing I will mention that has not been addressed.

Back in 1989 or so, my son was home from college and we went detecting to a known old homestead and it was a few blocks of walking on an old road before we would reach the homestead area. While walking there I got a reading in the middle of the road. Since my son and I always compared readings when we could, before I dug, I had him check out the reading. Well, he could not pick up a signal at all!

At the time I was using a newer Garrett GTA1000 and he was using a Freedom Ace. The difference in depth detection was obvious. It was that particular find I got that day that made him decide to buy a GTA1000 also. After that his finds did increase dramatically due to having a better detector and also increased knowledge on where and how to hunt. Oh, the coin I found that day was a 1773 Virginia Halfpenny. It was about 8+ inches down.

I have since that time found quite a few more coins and buttons that have been very deep, in fact, other than beach hunting, the deepest coins I have ever recovered in unploughed dirt has been from road hunting.

So, I do recommend having a detector that goes deep for road hunting and also go very slow, since deeper readings are easier to miss.

Don

Don in South Jersey said:
As many have already stated, YES, old roads are great spots, my son and I have many many miles of walking old stage roads and other old roads of South Jersey since the 1980's and have done quite well.
One thing I will mention that has not been addressed.

Back in 1989 or so, my son was home from college and we went detecting to a known old homestead and it was a few blocks of walking on an old road before we would reach the homestead area. While walking there I got a reading in the middle of the road. Since my son and I always compared readings when we could, before I dug, I had him check out the reading. Well, he could not pick up a signal at all!

At the time I was using a newer Garrett GTA1000 and he was using a Freedom Ace. The difference in depth detection was obvious. It was that particular find I got that day that made him decide to buy a GTA1000 also. After that his finds did increase dramatically due to having a better detector and also increased knowledge on where and how to hunt. Oh, the coin I found that day was a 1773 Virginia Halfpenny. It was about 8+ inches down.

I have since that time found quite a few more coins and buttons that have been very deep, in fact, other than beach hunting, the deepest coins I have ever recovered in unploughed dirt has been from road hunting.

So, I do recommend having a detector that goes deep for road hunting and also go very slow, since deeper readings are easier to miss.

Don

Hmmmm...could your son be John Walter? :D

BDD...Kirk

I have detected many old roadways still in use today. I have Confederate Block I buttons, Eagle Buttons, Tons of bullets, a hotchkiss fuse, a complete set of US spurs, pocket watches, harmonica parts and the like.

I have also found other roadbeds such as yours with trees in them and have done well there. I believe you should to well if you are the first to get there.

DaChief said:
I have detected many old roadways still in use today. I have Confederate Block I buttons, Eagle Buttons, Tons of bullets, a hotchkiss fuse, a complete set of US spurs, pocket watches, harmonica parts and the like.

I have also found other roadbeds such as yours with trees in them and have done well there. I believe you should to well if you are the first to get there.

Awesome, I will post what I find when I do detect it. The creek runs very close to it which is a good place to water horses and perhaps even camp, back in the day. Thanks for the response, Bryan

Tom_in_CA said:
I would think that just simply being an old road, would not be enough. Seems you'd need to know where people stopped . Ie.: camp/stop spots, road-side business, water stops, etc.... JHMO.

Years ago walking good distances to get places was a lot more common. My Grandfather walked everywhere he went (he never owned horse & wagons nor cars). He would accept rides from other folks if offered, but otherwise he used "shanks' mare". I'm talking MILES, not blocks. So, looking in old roadways makes just as much sense as detecting old pathways and sidewalks.

I would start at the bridge end, especially if it was a toll road or bridge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back