Has Anyone Else Flown On B52s?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOVE the SR- 71s just imagine flying faster than a bullet :icon_scratch: This one is in D.C. View attachment 2020547 View attachment 2020548 View attachment 2020549
Go fast burn gas Black Sled.
9 - Habu.jpg

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go fast burn gas Black Sled.
To all you service people that served in Viet Nam I want PERSONALLY thank you for your service. WHen you came back to the USA people did NOT TREAT you the way you deserved to be treated. You did what you was told to do. The disrespect you received was not KIND at ALL. It kind of reminds me now of the KNEELING that is being done to our national anthem.

BUT I STILL THANK you ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!

These pictures posted in this posting are FANTASTIC !!!

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To all you service people that served in Viet Nam I want PERSONALLY thank you for your service. WHen you came back to the USA people did NOT TREAT you the way you deserved to be treated. You did what you was told to do. The disrespect you received was not KIND at ALL. It kind of reminds me now of the KNEELING that is being done to our national anthem.

BUT I STILL THANK you ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!

These pictures posted in this posting are FANTASTIC !!!
Thank you, Gare...

origin.jpg

B-52D dropping 500-lb bombs in Viet Nam..

B-52D.jpg

B-52G.jpg

A U.S. Air Force Boeing B-52G-125-BW Stratofortress (s/n 59-2582) from the 72nd Strategic Wing (Provisional) waits beside the runway at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam (USA), as another B-52 takes off for a bombing mission over North Vietnam during Operation Linebacker II on 18 December 1972.

B-52D-Buff.jpg

A U.S. Air Force Boeing B-52D Stratofortress from the 43rd Strategic Wing waits beside the runway at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam (USA), as a B-52G-110-BW (s/n 58-0244) from the 72nd Strategic Wing (Provisional) approaches for landing after completing a bombing mission over North Vietnam during Operation Linebacker II on 15 December 1972.

BUFF-take-off.jpg

B-52 takes off for a mission over North Vietnam

B-52-formation.jpg

Pilot’s view of a typical, three-ship B-52 formation known as a cell as they head to Viet Nam on a mission.

bombing.jpg

Bombs from B-52 on a mission in Nam.

SA-2.jpg

A pilot’s cockpit was damaged by a fragment from an SA-2 SAM Missiles during a mission over North Viet Nam..

B-52-AAR.jpg

B-52 refueling from KC-135. I have flown on both, even sat in the co-pilot's seat in B-52 for 2 refuelings.

B-52D-AAR.jpg

What it looks like up close. Even long-range bombers like the B-52 needed refueling to reach their targets and return to base on far-off Guam. Bombing operations such as Arc Light and Linebacker depended heavily on air refueling.

Arc Light missions are what I worked on...

origin.jpg

The B-52 and the 70,000 pounds of munitions it can carry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B-52 "ride a long" from Ft. Worth, Tx to Azores Islands. I was also lucky enough to catch a ride in an F4, F15 and many KC-135 refueling flights. 7th Bombardment Wing Heavy, Ft. Worth Texas. Mors Ab Alto!
Thank you for your service...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureHunter those pictures are FANTASTIC and GREAT INFO THANKS for sharing

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was Anderson in Guam, Anderson AFB is on Guam and during Nam it was used extensively for bombing missions over SE Asia. Clark in Philippines, Anderson on Guam and Kadena on Okinawa were the three main bases for B52s bombing SE Asia during Nam.

I have flown in and out of Guam, Wake Island, Philippines, and was stationed on Okinawa for 20 months. Landing on Wake island was a trip as the ocean all but touches the runway on both ends. Your landing and you think you're landing in the water as you cant see the land except from the cockpit. I landed there on a KC-135 and looking out the door window I thought hell we are landing in the water.

Wake Island airfield

View attachment 2020438
Never been in a B-52 but have seen them close-up. I landed on Wake Island on my way to Viet Nam riding in a C-141 Starlifter and it was as you described. We were flying about 35,000 feet and saw nothing but ocean. Then we started losing altitude still seeing nothing but ocean. Just as the wheels hit the tarmac we could see bits of rock off the wing tips. They had to refuel the plane and we all had to disembark. I remember standing on a small hill near the terminal and looking over most of the island during that time. And Thanks to all you who have served before, during and since!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On November 19, 1968, B52 crashed at Kadena AFB, plane was taking off when they had an engine problem when they set the B52 back down on the runway jarring a 500 lb wing bomb loose, they tried to stop, as B52 is slamming on brakes trying to stop but were unable to stop before the end of runway and wings were ruptured where fuel was stored and the bomb slid into the B52.

I was in my room in the barracks sleeping when the bombs went off setting off all the bombs on the 52 and blowing a 50-foot hole in the runway, I was thrown out of my bed and when I opened my window I saw a huge mushroom cloud rising over runway because I was sound asleep when it happened my first thought was WWIII had started, after about 30 seconds I woke up enough to realize if it had been a nuke I would have been vaporized.

55-0103-1.jpg

okb52_2_big.jpg

Kadena also had several SR-71s stations there while I was there.

SR-71A-617953-flying-over-japan-674x380.jpg

My brother-in-law was an Air Police dog handler on Kadena when the B-52 crashed and blew up. He and his dog were involved in guarding the wreckage while it was investigated and cleaned up. He and I have had many conversations about that particular incident over the years.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother-in-law was an Air Police dog handler on Kadena when the B-52 crashed and blew up. He and his dog were involved in guarding the wreckage while it was investigated and cleaned up. He and I have had many conversations about that particular incident over the years.
Give my best to your brother-in-law, tell him you know someone else who was there that night and remembers the night of the crash. I don't remember the exact time but I believe it was between 2-3 am.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I always tell people who ask why I joined the Marines,back when it wasn,t cool to do that.
:icon_thumright::notworthy: Just something I felt was my duty, even if it was during Nam, I still felt it was a debt owed.

My father served in Air Force during WWII, Korea and Viet Nam, a half brother did 2 tours of Nam as an Army Warrant Officer copter pilot and served in Desert Storm, then he retired, and 7 uncles also served in WWII.

I chose the Air Force because my father served Air Force, I even ran into several people who knew my dad when he served.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright::notworthy: Just something I felt was my duty, even if it was during Nam, I still felt it was a debt owed.

My father served in Air Force during WWII, Korea and Viet Nam, a half brother did 2 tours of Nam as an Army Warrant Officer copter pilot and served in Desert Storm, then he retired, and 7 uncles also served in WWII.

I chose the Air Force because my father served Air Force, I even ran into several people who knew my dad when he served.
Same here.My Dad landed at Leyte in the Combat Engineers.My Granddad joined the SeaBees cause he was too old for the other services,was on New Georgia and Vella LaVella. All my uncles were in WWII.One great Uncle was killed in Belgium with the 4th Armored.Even had an Aunt who joined the WACs and served in England as an officers driver.All the men I grew up around and helped raise me were WWII vets. One was a cook on Guadalcanal who answered Mike Edsons call and went up on Edson,s Ridge to help win that fight. Another was a ball turret gunner on a B-17. I never considered it a duty as such,but I did believe I owed a debt to be paid,for all those men who went before me and those who didn,t come home.They gave me a wonderful country,I wanted to help to preserve it too.They,re all gone now but not forgotten!May they rest in peace.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I did get to sit in the Pilots seat for a good while on an exclusive pilot friendly only fly in to Joint Base/ Mcquire Air Force base in New Jersey for a meet and greet! After a preliminary background check !
It was such an awesome experience! Once in a life time !

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here.My Dad landed at Leyte in the Combat Engineers.My Granddad joined the SeaBees cause he was too old for the other services,was on New Georgia and Vella LaVella. All my uncles were in WWII.One great Uncle was killed in Belgium with the 4th Armored.Even had an Aunt who joined the WACs and served in England as an officers driver.All the men I grew up around and helped raise me were WWII vets. One was a cook on Guadalcanal who answered Mike Edsons call and went up on Edson,s Ridge to help win that fight. Another was a ball turret gunner on a B-17. I never considered it a duty as such,but I did believe I owed a debt to be paid,for all those men who went before me and those who didn,t come home.They gave me a wonderful country,I wanted to help to preserve it too.They,re all gone now but not forgotten!May they rest in peace.
Sounds like mine. Had one uncle who was at Corregidor PI when it fell, another uncle was in the marines in the pacific, another was in the merchant marines because he couldn't get in the military, 3 uncles in Europe in the army, my father was a tail gunner on B-17s over Europe. All are also gone now....

The worst part of getting older is burying your family and friends.😥

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May they all rest in peace!Because of the things they did,some never really knew peace while on this Earth.One of my friends,the man who was on Guadalcanal,drank a lot.I often wondered why.When i joined the Marines and read more of the history of that battle I understood.Rest in peace,Jack! Thank God for them all!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never rode in one but I fueled and defueled many while stationed at NAS Albany, Ga. back in the early 70s. Then I got to do a tour on the USS Enterprise in the Tonkin Gulf. Again no B-52s but a lot of RA-5s, A-6s and F-4s to play with!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread